Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil pressure

luddites7

Hi

I have just finished the think auto mech op conversion on a k with appollo tank

I am running with halfords 5/50 fully synth oil

I notice that on tick over and when I come of the throttle the oil pressure light comes on this happens only when engine is hot

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the think auto switch is set to and is it adjustable I couldn't see if it was

Tuanks. Jason

From memory they're set to about 35psi when new. I run a very bright (Maplin 50 led cluster) warning light on mine and I think the current may be a bit high for the switch. Occasionally it sticks 'on' so I'm going to put a relay or transistor in the circuit to avoid the contacts burning out over time. It may just be a faulty switch in my case but worth watching out for.

Interesting that - I mean the need to use a relay - never thought of that.

I went through 3 low OP senders that eventually "stuck on", the last being an adjustable. In the end I gave up & disconnected as it got very disconcerning.

Will now try with a relay. Needs something to play with in anticipation............ *cool*

I've got the think kit with the standard pressure warning switch - which from memory I think is set at 35psi. When the oil's hot, the warning light comes on at idle - an ultra-bright red LED - but as soon as you come off idle the light goes out. I've left it set like that as a good early warning system for track days (the fact the light does come on at idle proves the warning light is working) - but it is a bit annoying especially at night.

Dave