Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adding Steering Stop Spacers

Brucey

I've measured and made 2 nylon spacers to fit my 1993 Clam Shell steering rack.

This will prevent my new cycle wings hitting the body on full lock. I believe Caterham used this method for a short time.

I have 2 choices to fit them.

1. Cut through them with a hacksaw and try and fit them over the rack without dismantling anything.

2. Disassemble the inner ball joint and slide the complete spacer over.

I prefer this method but I'm not sure how the inner joint is pulled apart. There seems to be a lock nut on the inside (I'm assuming RH thread both sides) but nothing to grip onto the ball socket side (no spanner flats etc). There is a hole in each inner ball joint housing. Is this for a special 'C' type spanner or something else?

Has anyone stripped the inner ball joints?

Do I need to remove the outer ball joints to unscrew/adjust the inner joints?

Any help appreciated.

Bruce.

My (early) quick rack had a dowell between the locknut and the ball cup penetrating into the rack (which had to be drilled out). Yours doesn't by the sound of it but there just may be one lurking if you have difficulty unscrewing further.

Good luck *thumbup*

ECR,

Cheers for the info.

I managed to get the inner ball joint unscrewed from the RH side of the rack. It looks like it was attacked with a cenrte punch to fix it to the locking nut. Unfortunately I can't wind the lock nut off the rack as the thread is damaged where the lock nut met the inner ball joint.

I've therefore gone for option 1 and put a hacksaw cut through the nylon spacer/stop. I've turned the bush with 0.5mm clearance between the OD of the rack and the I.D of the bush. I opened the split and popped it over the steering rack. I then tuned the steering to full LH lock and it pushed itself nicely into the recess in the outer case, stopping on full lock before the LH cycle wing hit the body *thumbup* It stayed inside the outer case (as planned) when I returned the steering to the centre *smokin*

Sooooo, It looks like the job can be done without dismantling anything. I'll confirm it once I've done the LH side and road tested it.

Hope this helps someone else as there seems to be quite a few topics in the archives on this problem with few solutions.

Bruce.

Edited by - Brucey on 15 Feb 2009 22:29:17

Edited by - Brucey on 15 Feb 2009 22:57:25

Nice one Bruce! Looking forward to hearing how the other side goes, I'm assuming with the bush not being fixed in one place, there's no possibility of it fouling on the rack teeth?

Good to know there's a workable solution, this is my next job once I've got my triggerwheel and crank sensor bracket sorted (should be this week).

Cheers, Les.