Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tidying up black dials

CK

Apologies, should have been more specific: they're off a '96 car, so are a little bubbly and rusted(?) around the inside edge next to the glass, and a bit shiny where the black coating has come off around the outside edge.

As I'm slowly tarting up the dash in general, think I might try the Hammerite spray first (thanks Chris).

Malc, ta for the info, great to hear from you again - would it work with the oil you mention then sealing with some clear top-coat (sprayed from a can?)??

Chris

No mate you remove guages, carefully mask glass with quality mask - NOT crinkle paper (other wise paint gets underneath), then spray with hammerite as stated. The first 1-2 coats should be light to seal mask. Then you can put a bit more on. Remove (pick off) masking tape with scalpel while paint not quite dry, being ULTRA careful not to slip and touch/mark/spoil semi-dry product. Then allow to dry/harden in warm environment. If you fu@k it up rub down 'dodgy bit' and repeat above. Less is more...

Oh, you might want to rub down first with fine wire wool, degrease with meths (or similar) then wack a bit of grey primer on first (before black paint) to get a better finish *wink*

The oil is strictly cosmetic to tart up/give a bit of gloss to guages you are NOT going to paint!!

Instead of masking tape, go to an art shop and buy some liquid latex masking, you can then paint this on the glass dial, a couple of coats letting it dry in between and then spray. once all is dry you then peel off the latex..

This is what airbrushers do I believe.

Jon

Edit for speeling mistuk

Edited by - jonboylaw on 3 Feb 2009 17:45:49

Guys,

I can confirm that using liquid masking is giving better results and easier to use.

You can also find it in shops doing scale model cars / airplanes / ... I was using it in the 80' s and 90' s when I had to stick with scale model Sevens.

Jack Flash