Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sticking throttle

Andy Watson

I have a problem with my standard 1.6k. I am finding that the engine is quite often reluctant to return to idle when I lift off the throttle. It usually takes a blip of the throttle to quieten the engine down. The throttle returns to the stops (with a little slack in the cable) ok, and the throttle plate isn't restricted by an over-tight air filter. I don't think it's a problem with the idle air adjustment valve as I get the same problem with it disconnected. I have found, however, if I press the throttle cable quadrant (is that the correct term?) against the return stops, the revs drop to idle, even though there is no preceptable movement in the throttle itself. Is it a problem with the throttle position sensor?

Andy

Have you tried resetting the IACV ? (ignition on, engine off, press the throttle slowly to the floor and back up again 5 times).

If you do a search on idling or IACV there are a lot of postings about K-series idling which may be of some help to you

Nick

P8MRA - The greenid=green> one with redid=red> wings

Edited by - Nick Woods on 25 Jun 2002 15:28:51

Which throttle body do you have Plastic or Metal ? If Plastic it is more than likely that by the fix you have described. Replaced mine recently and found that holding the plastic one up to the light it had kind of ovalised which meant the butterfly was sticking and restricting the retun to stop fully most annoying considering how much the replacement part was, check back a few weeks as someone offered me the replacement at a discounted price, got to be better than £130+.

Ashley Webster.

1400 Supersport