Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vacuum brake bleeders

Westfield

Main advantage of suck rather than blow seems to me to be that its much less likely that you'll get a fluid leak from around the top of the reservoir. The Easibleed fits quite nicely on the Caterham brake cylinder but not so well on some others that I've had a problem with, resulting in a leak.

Someone suggested recently (it might even have been you Ian) that you shouldn't put fluid in the Easibleed bottle but only to keep the reservoir topped up to avoid trouble.

Really good vacuum bleeders are I think superior, I understand that Ford (and others) use them to help fill a dry system, the advantage being that you are more likely to get fluid into all those nooks and crannies around the hand brake adjusting mechanism if the air has been removed by vacuum. Even when refreshing a system the tendency is for a trapped air bubble to expand which has got to help its removal compared to compressing it.

In the real world the vacuum will not be perfect from the pump and the pressure is being applied in the wrong direction for the seals so they may start leaking outside air into the system. from the seals (m/c piston etc.).

but I have not tried one *rolleyes*