Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 Sigma 150 Quirk ??? - Final Update 23.06.09

Windy Corner

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone with the new map going to be at the Oulton Park track-day in a couple of weeks? I'm perfectly happy with my current map (updated in the Autumn) but maybe that's because I don't know what I'm missing? It would be interesting to compare notes.

See my Build Cam to check on my Roadsport Sigma.

Toby my upgrade was free. While it was there they stuck a new 'CATERHAM' badge on the cam cover (the original came off) and fitted a replacement side screen strap (which I hadn't realised had come off) - all foc.

I went to Goodwood today and this was the first cold start since the upgrade. Cold running is hugely improved.

Viper Blue Sigma 150 Roadsport SV

On the 230 odd miles I did in the last week or so I got either 36 or 38mpg, this included our 5 seven blat to the South Warwickshire meet. Not sure quite which it is as I forgot exactly how many miles were on the trip meter when I filled up 😬

Ivan

• Area Representative

Dropped my Sigma 150 off at CC Midlands today for the latest re-map.

Nick at Caterham reckons it has totally transformed the car.

I will let you know my thouhgts when I get it back next Saturday.

Russ

*wavey* *wavey* *wavey*

Just arrived back in Spain with my remapped ECU, most anxious to get it on the car. Problem is SWMBO gets back Monday after a 3 week visit to her family and the house needs cleaning up or I'll be in the dog house for the next month.

The dilema.....what should take priority ? Please advise

Took mine to CC Midlands yesterday for the latest re-map.

Got absolutely soaked both ways. Even resorted to hood up for part of the journey home.

The mechanic who did the upgrade and took it for a road test (Chris I think) said it was the first one he had done and he was impressed.

Difficult to see any change yesterday due to the weather. Just been out for a quick test tonight. What a transformation. Cold running now seems faultless. Some slight pinking gone. Power seems to come in smoothly all the way up. Even sounds better but that's probably my imagination *biggrin*

Was disappointed in map F as it just moved from 1 set of problems to another. Different maps seem to suit different cars but the current one is way above any I have had previously.

Much, much better.

Starts and warms up from cold without stuttering (mind you the ambient here is 35 deg C......)

Solid tick over at 900 rpm

Throttle blips are much more responsive (when double declutching, etc.) - doesn’t "bog"

Steady state cruising at low rpm and small throttle openings smooth, with no hunting

No popping/banging or spitting back through the throttle bodies

Lots of progressive power at high rpm and large throttle openings

Only one significant issue remains, that being the transition from a trailing to an open throttle. It is abrupt and almost like throwing a switch, somewhat reminiscent of a sticking throttle cable (although I don't think it is). Makes feeding the throttle on through a corner difficult to perform smoothly and could be a problem when the road surface is slippy.

The Caterham throttle pedal arrangement exacerbates this as the geometry is such that initial movement of the throttle pedal results in a relatively large deflection of the butterflies and the final pedal movement a much smaller butterfly deflection. Should be the other way round…..

Still very pleased though

Now I’ve got to go and clean the house *cry*

Malcolm

• Area Representative

Collected my Sigma 150 yesterday from CC Midlands after the re-map.

Not much to report on the 60 mile trip home as it was raining and I had the hood up and took things carefully.

Took it out again this morning and the improvement is quite noticeable.

Pulling away in first is much smoother and the power now feeds in with no apparent flat spots.

I used to have the occasional problem when re-starting when the engine was warm, often needing to dab the throttle to prevent stalling. This seems to have been cured.

The other major difference is that during an hour long blat this morning there was no popping or banging.

Definately worth getting this latest map if you haven't already done so.

Cheers,

Russ

*biggrin* *biggrin* *biggrin*

Just had mine done at CC Dartford. Took the car in at 7.50 and was away by 9.15. The car is a lot smoother and far more tractable than before. Less popping and banging but worth the sacrifice for overall improvement in power delivery. No more kangaroo hops although this was largely solved by the upgrade I had done last October. Well worth having. Consumption had improved by about 6mpg.

Has anyone been offered to do this ecu upgrade diy style?

I had the 7 in for a service at cc south at the beginning of June and James G said that a new version was due in a weeks time and that they would be sending a plug out in the post to be used temp while the ecu was sent back to CC for flashing and then returned with the latest on it (well that was my understanding anyway). Haven't heard anything since.

Have you all been asked to come in for the ecu upgrade or something you've requested?

Rich

• Area Representative

Same circumstances as Toby. I phoned CC Midlands about another matter and was told there was a new engine map and to bring the car in and they would do it.

Russ

*wavey*

Brian et al, I've spoken to James and sent him pictures of my throttle quadrant - it seems I have the old one. Just ordered the new quadrants (2 parts - £50 , not cheap). I will report back to this topic once I have received and fitted

Malcolm,

Be interested to hear the result of the new throttle quadrant. Any chance that when you recieve it you could post some old & new photos, to enable us to see the difference.

At £50 it is marginal whether I would do it, but you never know..........

Thanks to all who keep updating this thread, it seems to have become a good resource for all Sigma 150 owners

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Like Brian I had my throttle bodies swaped over in the early months trying to solve engine gremlins. IIRC James said they were ones ment for the 2lt engine and were being trialed on the 1.6.

Anyway they solved the sticky throttle but other issues remained.

Just spoke to James re ECU update and he asked me to bring it in. He said they can do the ECU by post, but there is a calibration which needs to be performed afterwards, of which he sent me details. I'll probably book it in though, he said they should be able to do it on a Sat morning.

Rich

Just got car back with new map. Can only report that motorway driving is much improved . . . will keep all posted when I have taken for a 'propper' drive *tongue*

The new quadrant was fitted early on when I built the car and is much improved on the early type.

Learning new skills all the time, 10000 miles completed.

I have just received the upgraded throttle quadrant components (if somebody can tell me how I will post a photo). The quadrant has a fixed radius of 31.5 mm, I haven't been able to measure the old one yet as it is still on the car but it looks about 25 mm. This should increase throttle pedal travel by about 20% and reduce sensitivity by a similar amount throughout the travel. Somewhat disappointed that it hasn't been designed with a decreasing radius to aid progression and to this end I have just contacted Jenvey in an attempt to find one that does this.

I will report back as to how it performs once it's on the car

Now fitted the throttle quadrant. Caterham supplied 2 components, the throttle quadrant that is fitted to the spindle of the rear pair of TB's and the "drive" quadrant that fits to the front pair. The drive quadrant supplied appears identical to the one already on the car and, therefore, not needed. My advice to anybody thinking of this upgrade would be to only get the throttle quadrant and save about 25 quid.

I measured the radius of the old one - 18.5 mm against 31.5 mm, meaning about 40% increase in pedal travel.

The TB's were quite sooted up, probably as a result of the spitting back on the old map, and sticking as a result - cleaned them up

Car now drives much better, I can tootle along at 30 mph in 5th and accelerate fairly smoothly from that point, not much fun but it can do it......

It will still kangeroo, together with transmision shunt, coming off a trailing throttle (even though I have now fitted an additional throttle spring in the pedal box) at about 2,000/3,000 rpm in the lower gears. I have noticed that in neutral there is a solid idle at about 900 rpm but as soon as I touch the throttle pedal and the butterflies start opening rpm drops to a lumpy 750, this may be a casual factor. This could be a map issue as it switches from the idle air bypass or it could be that I need to improve my balancing/setup skills....