Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which FIA Roll Bar

Brucey

My 50th birthday is approaching fast 😔 The good news is that my wife says she will buy me a Caterham experience day. *thumbup*

After looking at the costs, I think I would prefer to spend the equivilent money on an FIA roll Bar and do a couple of cheaper track day sessions (maybe at Lydden or Brands Hatch).

The problem is I can't see an FIA Roll Bar for a 1993 Dedion on the Caterham website.

I've tried for 2 years to get one 2nd hand without success. Would the xflow/long cockpit one on the CC website fit my car or should I see if Arch can supply as Caterham don't list it.

I guess I will need to change my boot cover and 1/2 hood as well 😔

Any advice appreciated

Bruce.

Bruce,

My 7 is also a '93 De Dion x/flow and my FIA bar was bought from CC direct (albeit in '01). I'm fairly sure that the one you suggest is OK (if not I'm sure someone will be along and advise otherwise). However, give CC a call (or better still send an email as I've found their email response time to be very good during my rebuild/) as I'm sure that they don't list everything on their on-line stores section.

Yes, you will also need the FIA bar boot cover. Not sure about the half-hood; not a consideration with aeroscreens *wink*.

Just checked my records and the part nos. were;

79032 - Roll bar - FIA - sloping - D/D

77659 - Boot cover - 1990 spec

Total cost £227.36, but I'd hate to think what it would cost now.

Hope this helps

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

As Chris said if you give CC a call they will certainly have a FIA rollbar to fit your car.

Not sure however that you'll also need to change the boot cover. With a new style Caged double diagonal FIA rollbar the old standard boot cover usually fits just fine.

Enrico

My Caterham Seven's photo gallery *cool*

Thanks for the respose guys *thumbup* *wavey*

I've e mailed CC as I'm still a little unsure of the difference between a 'Track Day' and an FIA Roll Bar.

I'm assuming an FIA Roll Bar is tested and certified for racing and a Track Day one isn't.

Bruce.

Bruce does your chassis have the recesses at the rear bulkhead like the later Dedions? It should have IMO. In which case you can use the std FIA bar.

If not and you need the older version which has the plates that bolt onto the bulkhead like the LA FIA bar, then the standard LA FIA bar should fit I think.

Chances are you won't need to change your boot cover, i have no idea about half hoods but it may well still be OK unless it's a really snug custom fit. Try it of course *thumbup*

Invest the difference in cash in a Motorsport Events Academy Day, it will be one of the best £100s you ever spent *smile* Lots of recommendations for them on here *thumbup*

Steve,

Thanks for your offer, I'll try and confirm with Arch/CC if your FIA Bar will fit my car.

Coyote,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'recesses'. I have a square tube running full width accross the top of the rear bulkhead with the rear most edge roughly on the centre line of the roll bar uprights.

There is one mounting bolt close to the roll bar tube at approx 45 deg towards the back outside edge on each side. I'm assuming there are additional mounts where it goes through the rear suspension turrets.

Bruce,

Bruce,

The standard bar is only held on with the bolts that you can see from the top and those at the bottom of the rear bracing bars. If you undo these the bar should lift out but may need a little persuasion 😬

Under the plates you should then find the recess that the bar slots into.

As far as I am aware only the FIA/Track day bars have bolts coming up from below. These are 'special' bolts with a reduced depth on the head as they fit above the rear coil/damper unit, you need to remove these to fit them.

Alan