Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR 200 won't start when hot?

CSR Phill

On hot days after a run, or following a session on track, my home built CSR200 will not restart until it's cooled down. The engine cranks over fine it just doesn't fire until its down to a temperature that it's happy with. It eventually starts and runs, no problem.

Its a bit embarrassing by petrol pumps etc.

I've changed the MFR [because its cheaper than the ECU!!] but no difference.

Any bright ideas?

We know the CSR's run hot under the bonnet [i've largely cured that by lagging the primary pipes] but it doesn't cut out when hot, it just won't restart. *thumbdown*

I had that happen to me twice (Duratec R400), but I think that if you let the fuel pump prime fully before firing up, it should start right away. I was worried at track days especially, but that has not been an issue for a while since the trick. *confused*

When it goes, it's fine, runs well. just won't start again with a hot engine bay. If I take the bonnet off it resolves the problem more quickly.

One thing I thought was that the fuel rail is at the highest point on the fuel system and the fuel could be vapourising with high temps. There is no bleed and no tank return on this engine.

Immobiliser? hmm, I don't think its that, why would it be temperature related?

It is just possible that it could be a wiring loom fault, a 'dry' connection, which is exacerbated when hot. It's not unknown for the loom joints to be a bit dodgy, I've had to Caterhams where this was diagnosed as a problem, and bl**dy difficult to find they were too! *eek*

Best of luck with it. Please post the answer for the rest of us, when you've sorted it *thumbup*

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.