Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Zetec/Weber progression holes

John Hartley

A friend had to do this to his 45's, I think he got the info from 'RACELINE', anybody know their web address ? Sorry I can't be more helpfull.

By the way, was your Zetec on injection prior to fitting 45s, I believe Caterham do injected Zetecs for the US or Canada.

Cheers.

This is a common problem with 45dcoe (but rarely 40dcoe) carbs and it by no means affects only Zetecs.

The usual effect is that you have a flat spot on very light throttle which can make the car unpleasant to live with. Basically, the engine is being under-fuelled at this point.

There are two possible cures:-

1)Fit special butterflies with a slot machined in them near the progression holes - these are no longer available, but you could machine your own.

2)Machine an extra progression hole into each barrel. This does really need to be done on a jig with the carbs off the car. It is generally effective at reducing the problem, but you should also make sure that your jetting (slow run jets) is correct for the application too.

Thanks for your comments. To someones question, the car is a US spec. Zetec and had the stock injection system.

I called Weber UK and got the specs. on adding two more holes. By my measurements, they need to different. I am learning quite a bit about this subject and if anyone has a similar problem, I would be glad to share what I have learned.