Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re-using Oil

Neil A

Just got my car back from a service and I've noticed that the oil temperature is alot higher than usual. I've done a search of Blatchat and thus checked the oil and it looks like it has been overfilled.

Now, the easiest thing to me seems to be to drain say a litre out, and then top up accordingly.

Now, I've only done a few hundred miles on the oil, so is there any issue with topping up with the oil I drain out?

I can't imagine it would be a problem provided I make sure nothing gets into the oil.

Fellas, smoke me a kipper, I'll be blatting for breakfast.

Re-inserting a screw-in sump plug mid flow sounds like a rather messy business. How about a length of screenwash tube down the dipstick tube and syphon some out (into your measuring jug)

Or use a vacuum extractor which is known to be clean inside.

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Managed it with minimal spillage.

Trick was to start trying to put the plug back in as soon as it was out. By the time I got it back in I had a litre out 😬

Fellas, smoke me a kipper, I'll be blatting for breakfast.

i use a suction pump via the dipstick which is clean, does not provide opportunity to cross thread, and is quick. I use it for mid service oil changes as i like to use freash oil more frequently than the service intervals. You can't use em all the time but they are great bits of kit for moments like this, and inexpensive to buy