Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brian James Minno - reversing lock?

IanJ

I have a second-hand 7(ish) year old Brian James Minno and a rather steep driveway. Reversing the trailer uphill activates the brake and makes things even more difficult than the effects of gravity alone.

Is anybody aware of something like a reversing lock to disable the braking system (perhaps as an option) on Minno hitches?

Thanks.

Ian 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

Penn Sevens Here

Newer BJ trailers have an auto lockout of the breaks when the trailer's reversed. Not sure how this is implemented - if it's just the hitch, or if there's more to it, but I'd bet you can buy the bits you need. Just a case of what they'll cost.

Maybe you have the mechanism you need but it's not working *confused* Do the brakes come on with normal reversing - i.e. not up a hill?

The Avonride axles on the Minno I had were fitted with auto reversing hubs. The brakes disengaged if operated in reverse.

Interesting if you are trying to man handle a trailer on a slope with the nose uphill as the brakes don't work in reverse!

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬 or Mrs Locust's Blue Roadsport Academy 😬

Interesting - thanks for the responses.

The trailer reverses OK on the flat, but is a real struggle to reverse uphill (empty) with the hitch significantly more compressed. I don't believe it's a hydraulic hitch.

I certainly wouldn't try man-handling it on a hill that steep.

It could indeed be the case that there is some clever auto-reverse mechanism which prevents the brakes from activating in reverse even when the hitch is fully compressed. I hadn't considered that as a possibility.

It just seemed a bit harder to reverse uphill backwards than I was expecting. Maybe it's just gravity after all...

Ian 😬 1.6K SS Superlight #006

Penn Sevens Here

Some surge brake equiped trailers have a solenoid valve (similar to a line lock) that blocks the hydraulic line from the coupler's master cylinder to the trailer wheel cylinders. The valve closes when you illuminate the reverse lights.

Not sure about BJ trailers, but others offer kits to retrofit this function.

-Bob

94 HPC VX Evo III

IanJ - I just use a piece of wood which slots tightly in-between the back of the toe-hitch and the front of the A-frame (about 6" long) with a strap wrapped around it and the gater to stop it jumping out of place. There are probably more elegant solutions but it's nice and simple for reversing up a slope.