Click here if you are having website access problems ×

JPE Power output

Anthony

Hi Jon,

Sounds like a good idea to go with H&S at that price.

The pipes in Slough were to special swindon design and liberated another 10-15 bhp over SBD, when measured on the dyno

H&S will make a lovely job, is it just supply and demand driving down the cost at H&S ?

FWIW. My JPE engine was running Jenveys rather than the Webber injection set up and measured exactly 249BHP on Steve Greenalds Dyno. This was with the standard JPE manifolds.

The car spent 10 hours on the dyno whilst they searched for power below 5,500rpm. My engine was peaky, no power below 6000rpm, then it went ballistic until 9,000rpm.

The exhaust was restrictive and I reckoned there was more power to be had by getting a proper tuned length set of headers fitted.

It's worth noting that there were many variations of JPE engine. Some had steel cranks, some standard, apparently, there were a few JPE's with just standard rods as well.... I'm not suprised that power outputs varied accross its few years of production.

Mike C

No longer K9 JPE

Hi Davey,

Mine had the standard crank, not steel, as most JPE's. My hard cut was set at 8750rpm and the engine survived well. If you go over 9k, you will need a steel crank I think....

FWIW, I was told that the standard crank was fine for up to 9k *confused*

Mike C

No longer K9 JPE

Seems incredible that Swindon used standard rods in an engine which makes on there power graphs 248bhp at 8000 revs and 245bhp at almost 9000 revs in an engine which likes to rev.The green segment on the rev counter goes to 8000 and most people regard 7750 enough for standard rods .!