Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rattle - thoughts appreciated

AdamQ

Guys, I spent last Saturday listening to the noise. It goes away after 4500RPM. It is not drowned by the engine roar, I checked. The rattle seems to be getting loudest at 3000-3300 RPM. And it came squarely from the passenger side dashboard area. The gearbox (unless the sound is internal) is bolted solidly and all bits attached to it were still there firmly.

So I went one by one wiggling each component of the dash. Nothing made sound except the very last warning light/switch. When I shook it, it made the most annoying screech ever, even if only moved ever so slightly. If I shook it more vigorously, it kind of sounded like the very same rattle. Took the switch out, lubed the plastic, added a bit of liquid rubber seal and it is silent now. But, I have not had a chance to road-test it yet, so I have no idea if that has solved the problem. Will update after the weekend. *smile*

akakubi, does this only happen with the bonnet on? If so have you checked the heater hoses aren't rattling against the bonnet (see my post on the 1st page)?

Mark

Waitin' on a sunny day

Gonna chase the clouds away

[edited for poor grammar]

Edited by - MTH on 29 Sep 2008 12:14:02