Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cooling expansion tank location

SmokinGreen

Thanks Cagey,

I don't have inboard suspension, but I wanted to fit a naca duct in the center of the bonnet, and have the feed from that go directly into the airbox. I suppose I can rotate it so that it sits further to the left/or forwards? Does anyone have pics of their install of an airbox & cold air feed?

If you don't have a heater there would be room for the header bottle above the scuttle. It would probably be an improvement on the standard scheme if you connected the lower port on the bottle to a T on the bypass line instead of running a hose from the submarine section. This would promote the outflow from the head into the header before the thermostat opens.

Chris,

I made a cranked fishplate which moves the spherical expansion tank to the left and forward as you suggest. I then made up a 3 sided baffle similar to the one on the Alcester link but as wide as the radiator at the front so that it does not restrict the air flow. It is more difficult to get the expansion tank to clear the nosecone, especialy with an apollo but it does work well.

If you mail me you email address I will try to dig out some photographs to send.

Dave H.

Mad about S77ENS