Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Increased oil temp

Phil G

Noticed an increase in oil temperature at WightBlat and having just returned from a run to Goodwood the problem persists - I am getting worried.

1] Oil temp was always around the 80deg mark (12 o-clock) but now rising to the next marker which I assume is around 90-100deg.

2] Oil pressure dropping slightly but it could be me just noticing it more.

3]No discernable difference in water temp.

4]All okay when driving in traffic or at reasonably low speeds.

I did top up with synthetic oil before WB. I do not know what type of oil was originally used. Could this have an effect?

Any ideas?

Phil

-----

SummerLightningHaze

As I had an oil temp gauge many years ago I enquired with an oil company what should the temp be, I seem to remember that a bit more than 100 degrees is no problam at all.

Not a very technical reply but the memory is not what it use to be *rolleyes*

Thanks guys,

So, possible sender fault which is a cheap thing to fix or don't worry too much. *thumbup* Now all I have to do if find the sender

I have been told that the K suffers from weak head gaskets which alarmed me some what *cry* However, if that was the case I would expect an increase in water temp also.

SummerLightningHaze

An alternative way of bleeding a little oil off is to take the pressure sender off (just in front of the filter). The hole to the sender is much smalller than the one to the sump so you are less likely to lose all your oil or get covered in it trying to get the sump plug back in while the oil is coming out!

Let it run into a cut-off plastic milk bottle so you can work out roughly how much you have drained.

Steve

Phil

Standard gauges/senders for Water temp and oil pressure are not the best, for a number of reasons, such as;

a) Senders packing up.

b) Instrument resolution very poor.

After making the level changes suggested above, if you still think there are problems you may wish to consider better senders and gauges.

Do a search - you will see what other think

Malcolm