Click here if you are having website access problems ×

engine dying -not starting

yopcha

I'm driving my 98 Superlight 1,6 K back home, the engine has been gently warmed up and I rev her a little bit (up to 6000 only)and suddenly wrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I'm seriously worried, disengage clutch and she revs ,put the clutch in and she studders and then goes, feels like not enough spark , I drive her gently home (about 6 miles) keeping the revs down, getting going in first is a bit rough, but she still revs sometimes, arrive just rolling in second in front of my house and she stops and wont start again.

Where should I start looking and which elimination process should I follow. She seems to get petrol. May be something common and dead simple,I'm not that much of a mechanic and dont know anything about Rover engines and am a new Caterham owner-just want to have fun.

Any help greatly apreciated.

Cheers

Markus

I have twice had a problem of idling and low power OK but stuttering as power demand is increased. One time it was the fuel pump. Delivery could not keep up because the diafram had a leak and got progressively worse until it would only do 30mph in 3rd. The second one was the rotor arm in the distributor. Over the years the voltage had broken down and was flashing to the distributor body. At light load a low voltage spark will light the mixture OK and not break down the rotor arm but as the throttle opening was increased the spark voltage need to rise and then it jumped to the distributot frame and again the car would only limp along at around 20mph in 2nd. You may need a magnifier to look at the rotor arm as the track left can be very fine --only a few thou diameter,

Both are easy to sort hope it is not anything worse hope thius helps cheers

Hi Opposite Lock;

Yes the car did get dripping wet about 50 miles before and I had to dry it out as it had stopped dead and would'nt start at all. Then it seemed to be perfectly fine again.

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Markus

I should have mentioned, the car was wet ,but I tried it out a week ago and she was running fine then.

The problem happened in one hit and I creamed myself at first, thought I blew something in the engine, but tend to believe it was something smaller, no mechanical nasty noises, only rev problems, but makes me think something electrical just blew up.

By the way, I am a new member and am absolutely stoked by the responses and the suport. Your a great bunch in the Seven Club

Thanks

Markus

Markus,

What year is the Superlight? Is it an EU2 or EU2 engine?

Turn the ignition on, and listen for the sound of the fuel pump. Confirm the pump runs, and then cuts off after a short period.

Check the condition of the distributor cap, and rotor arm (assuming this is an EU2 engine).

Next check for a spark...

Easiest way to do this, is to use a spare spark plug connected to an HT lead. Using a cloth, or insulated pliers, hold this against the side of the engine, while an assistant tries to start the car. Check each lead in turn, replacing the lead after checking.

If all leads produce a bright blue spark, check the condition of the spark plugs.

To me, it sounds like you have an ignition problem (such as the coil breaking down).

Other things to check are the connections to the flywheel sensor etc. to make sure there is no corrosion on the connectors.

Report back on any findings, and I am sure somebody will be able to help. *thumbup*

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Markus,

I had similar to what you describe happen to me twice. Both times it was the throttle position sensor had got water in it.

The throttle position sensor is a black object on the end of the throttle spindle. I don't know what manifold/throttle bodies you have, but if it is the standard plastic manifold...follow the throttle cable to where it attaches to the throttle body (engine). You'll see a shaft with a spring behind it. At the other end of this shaft there is a black sensor with wires coming from it. This is the Throttle Position Sensor.

Have a look at this pic here. The TPS is the item in the bottom right of this pic, with the wires disconnected.

Disconnect the wiring plug, and take it off (2 small screws). Then you can use a very sharp flat blade screwdriver to prise off the plastic cover. Inside you'll find a circuit board type thing...if it's wet, this is your problem. Mine was.

Dry the board with tissue/kitchen roll, clean up the circuit carefully. Make sure there is no track across it; sometimes when things arc they leave a track, which the electric then follows.

After the second time, I glued the lid back on, and I've had no problems since (No water can get in).

This fault feels like a huge flat spot. Sometimes it won't start at all. Sometimes it does. Sometimes you can just get a little throttle and full throttle...but it chokes in between.

It costs nothing to check.

Willie

Hi everyone,

Smiling again, *smile*

exchanged the distributer and coil and she started first kick , so I assume the coil died on me.

Now its raining/snowing again. I'll just have to grab my snowboard and hit the fresh powder snow tomorrow, we should have about 40 cm of it.

Thanks for all your help and I am realy pleased it was only a minor elektrical problem and hopefully will run well for a long time now with a few new bits,

Cheers

Markus *smile*