Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ideal Hillclimb/Sprint Caterham for Sensible Dosh

bl0498

Guys/Gals,

I currently compete (if thats the right word) in hillclimbs and sprints with my nice little red 100bhp VX classic in the under 1700cc Locaterfield class. I want to stay in this class with whatever I end up with.

Given that most of my competitors have a minimum of 135bhp and some have considerably more I have a number of performance options to avoid permanent tail ender depression:

- Do something to my existing VX classic scholarship car. Investigation of camshaft changes and head improvements with various people suggest I will not get more than about 120bhp (flywheel) from this at a reasonable cost. Any thoughts on this?

- Throw the engine away and put something else in the car. Perhaps a tuned xflow at 150bhp etc. Although relatively cheap, I am loathe to move backwards in the engine technology world if I can avoid it. Anything else suitable other than a x-flow??

- Sell Strider and buy a new car. I guess a 1600 K series supersport would be the base spec and something to build upon with throttle bodies etc etc in the next year or two to perhaps get somewhere near the Mr Bees type spec (I haven't THAT much dosh!). Is a better starting spec the roadsport or the superlight given that I need a windscreen etc? I want the 6 speed box, LSD, dry sumping FIA bar etc. I am a little concerned with the superlight as to what they leave off! Given the prices of reasonably recent secondhand cars I currently intend starting from a new car as a nice winter project. Is it worth doing some initial work on the engine etc whilst building the car? If so what? Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Brian

I think you'll find it easier to change your 8v Vx engine for a 1600 16 Vauxhall Ecotec which can be tuned to silly amounts of power if you want.

It may be worth checking if engine mounts, bell housing, manifolds etc can be carried over. SBD or QED can probably help as they've both fitted 7's with this engine.

See The Caterham Links page via http://alexwong.net for links to SBD and QED.

Also have a look on Andy and Jenny's site for their Ecotec installation (dedion chassis though). Their page is at http://www.cheesy-p.demon.co.uk/

Good luck!

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Edited by - Alex Wong on 14 Aug 2000 22:30:12

Thanks guys for the comments.

I have had a look at the web pages on Tim's car - seems a very well specced beast. What a shame its Black and unpainted though - sorry aesthetics are important too!

Not keen on doing just the CCC Graduates class (I saw Tim Gibson and the guys at Stowe earlier this year) as it basically restricts competitive hillclimbs/sprints to that one championship. The CCC championship doesn't visit many of my local midland hills either such as Loton Park or Shelsley.

Fitting a newer engine such as a K series seems initially attractive - but then when you consider the ramifications on induction, electrical system, gearbox even then basically the costs mount up pretty quickly.

Not sure which owners you manage to overtake with your scholarship car Graham but they clearly either are not trying or you have missed your vocation! I assume Jason Sutherland must be even quicker too?!

Any more comments gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Why not chuck in a motorbike engine? It seems that the live axle cars weight advantage would be useful with small amounts of torque to play with. Being on a hill you wouldn't need reverse gear, just roll.....

The regulations that push motorbike engined cars away from 'traditional' Caterhams will no doupt be relaxed in the various championships so you should have plenty of people to race against.

Brian

Give me £18,950 (or thereabouts) and I'll have the bloody thing sprayed any colour you like. Even lime green! Let's allow a £1,000 top limit. You won't get a faster 1700 class Seven and if (as is most likely) you are a better driver than me, you should piss over the competition.

Tim