Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sprint/hillclimb suits

magister

Considering a proban suit for my first foray into sprinting. AWS racewear have some, but website says

IDEAL FOR HILL CLIMBS, SPRINTS OR NATIONAL RALLY (END DEC 08)

Does this imply that they will be no longer valid after this year?

Thanks

PAulB

Paul

The 2008 Blue Book states Competitors Safety [C9c)] page 162:

77. Individual Competitors are responsible for ensuring their own safety and that appropriate flame resistant overalls are worn when mandatory. Competitors are

also strongly advised to wear flame resistant gloves, socks, balaclavas and underwear. Plastic shoes (such as trainers) should be avoided. Specific regulations

concerning flame resistant gloves, socks, balaclavas and underwear are published by the FIA and applicable to International events.

78.Clean flame-resistant overalls must be worn which can be manufactured from Nomex III, Proban or equivalent materials.

Acceptable standards are

79. Racing:

• FIA 8856-2000

• FIA 1986 Standard

80. Karting:

• As defined in K 100-106

81. All other events (including overalls in accordance

with J14-2-2):

• BS6249 part 1 Index A or B (but not part C)

• BSEN533

• pr EN533:1995 Index 3

• FIA 8856-2000

• FIA 1986 Standard.

I am therefore puzzled by the 'end of 08' as I cannot find any mention of this in the Blue Book. I suggest you give them a call and ask for an explanation.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• Area Representative

Paul,

I'd be inclined to take a look at Ebay.

I've bought and sold three Nomex suits over the last five years. I've lost a little on two, and made a little on one, but I'd estimate that paid out about £240, and got back about £220 for the three suits.

Whilst Proban suits are cheaper to buy new, their resale value is poor because you can't know how many times they've been washed, and therefore how fire resistant they are! Nomex if a fire resistant material and this property can not be washed out unlike Proban.

Buy a good suit cheap, rather than a cheap suit!

Have had a reply from AWS.....

"This date covers the duration of the Blue book, many ASNs are only allowing FIA suits to be worn for any type of motorsport.

We are not claiming to our clients that the MSA will prohibit the use of this type of suit after the date but rather that it is certainly valid up until that date."

PaulB

Seems a reasonable approach from the supplier.

I would echo Richard's thoughts on this though about buying a better suit cheap than a cheap suit.

Watch for sizing though - these italian suits always seem to be smaller than you think for a given size - or perhaps thats me!

Brian

(A Clerk of the Course)