Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear brake options

Dobuy

Time is approaching to change the rear pads on my standard Sierra cailpers. I have been using Mintex 1155 to come with the high heat generated at the rear axle and of course out here in Dubai. A quick check indicates that pads are now £110 for the 1155 and about half that for 1144's.

My current brake set up is the AP 4-pots on the front and the uprated master cylinder.

Are there any reasonably priced bolt on options that would improve my rear brakes? I don't need the handbrake so can use anything really. Don't want to spend big money on AP's, just looking for a cheap and simple replacement for the sierra calipers.

Dubai Duratec SV *cool*

I used the rear caliper from Hi Spec which incorporates a handbrake mechanism. I'm in Kuwait right now but could get you more info when I get back to Dubai if you like.

Since you don't need a handbrake, you could use the same calipers that you have on the front provided you can make them fit, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.

You might need a brake bias valve to tone down the rears a bit but at least that would optimise your braking and resolve the high temp problem which is why I went for the vented disc.

In fact IMHO there is no need for vented discs at the front where there is plenty of cooling air rushing around, it's the rear that really needs them.

Another way to do it would be to fit the same set up I have on the fromt, 280 MM solid discs and Hi spec lightweight "racing four" calipers and transfer the vented units to the back. That system JUST fits under my 13" rims with about 3MM clearnce and the big diameter discs provide powerful and more controlable braking than smaller diameters. A lot lighter too, I think I saved almost 1KG each side over the standard two pot set up so they would be significantly lighter than the AP four pots.