Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Just scratched some new carbon

Grubbster

Fitting my RiF wing protectors, almost finished, just clearing one of the holes with a drill and it slipped *mad* now have a 2" long scratch on the face of the wing protector.

Any suggestions of how to tidy it? It isn't deep - I could try polising it out with T Cut maybe or filling it with something *confused*

It's only taken four and a half years - I have started my website at last! Early days yet . . .

If it's shallow you can T cut and polish it flat. If it's moderately deep flat out the scratch with 1000 grit wet and dry used wet with a smear of soap, then T cut. If very deep, refill the scratch with a clear touchup lacquer pen, apply 2-3 coats till it's level or proud of the surface, then T cut it flat.

You *can* make it invisible. It takes time and skill to do well.

Steve, sorry, one of those really bad days yesterday where everything went wrong including my laptop. No time except to quickly post my reply. Problem with t-cut on out shiny surface is you can never get it back to the same shine. I have tried and it just makes it look terrible. Also the t-cut goes into any holes and goes white.

Hope all is well Steve, all the best

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Hi Richard, no apology needed. All is OK here, thanks. I thought that's what you meant re T cut, I've had the same on paintwork. You *can* get it out with progressively finer polishes but you get into diminishing returns on the time spent as you well know. I used to take great pride in my home brewed chips away style repairs, some were truly invisible. In the end though unless you have a superb example of a superpremium car it's not worth the time.