Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2008 Lotus 7 Club Speed Series FAQ

robmar

Tom

Depending on tyres your car will be eligible for either class 2 (list 1a) or class 3 (list 1b). Class 2 is a good starting point (I did this class when I started) and the A539's are eligible for this class. As the season is nearly over I suggest you wait until next year and enter as a novice.

Whereabouts are you in Sussex as I live in Horsham 🤔

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply. As you say I think next year and novice make sense in Class 2 so that's what I'll aim for. Roughly what sort of costs are involved and can I just do the stages that are local to me?

I'm in Shoreham-by-Sea... having only just bought my 7 I was too late to get to the Dunsfold Handling day this weekend so pretty gutted about that as sounds like a great day!

Tom

To qualify for the novices championship you need to compete is five rounds although you can do as many or a few as you like. I suggest you consider entering any of the following rounds some which are close, others that are suitable for novices:

Curborough 1 & 2 (organised by the club), MIRA near Nuneaton, Goodwood, Llandow (near Cardiff) and possibly Wiscombe in Devon. I have yet to finalise the calendar for next season and will publish on here when it is complete.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I need some advice please, Im thinking of purchasing another 7 next year. and being a beginer would like to compete in the club speed series.

Im intending on getting an ex- academy / roadsport A car and fitting it with a 6speed box and lsd, and I think I will keep the engine standard (115-120bhp).

so am I right in saying I would be in class 2?.

I also already have a set of 13inch wheels and I would think the car I would purchase would also have these rims.

So do I stay with these rims or do I need to go bigger?, and where do you start with tyres *confused*.

I have the understanding that if you have very sticky tyres you would be in a higher group and with 120bhp your not going to be very competitive.

Sorry in advance if I sound green but any advice is very welcome.

Cheers cat boy

Cat Boy

A 120bhp ex academy /RSA car will put you in class one but the mods will push it to class 2/3 and then you will be 40bhp or so off the leaders.

If you did without the mods for a season you could have a very competitive year in class 1. Novice champions for the last 3 years (including this year) have come from class 1, indeed this years class 1 champion is in an unmodified ex academy car.

Tyres for class 1/2 need to be normal road tyres on a set list, Yoko A539s/Toyo proxys/ Stunner Scudos are the choice tyres but seem to be getting harder to get below 15 inch. Stickier tyres Toyo 888s, CR500s, Khumos put you in at least class 3.

There are a few class 1 ers in Leicester who I'm sure would talk you through the options or i'm not that far away if you wanted to pop across for a chat .

It is great fun both on and off the track, hope to see you in the chamionship next year

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here