Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing rear dampers

Paul Thompson

Paul, probably best to raise the car onto stands and remove the mounting bolt and nuts situated at the top, this will allow the spring and shock absorber to be removed as a unit, which can then be seperated, if the springs are "settled" ie, compressed when the car is in normal driving configuration, it maybe worth replacing these as well as the shock absorbers, to correct ride height and comfort, (in a 7 *confused*)also, are the front units OK, as just replacing the rears, if the fronts are the same vintage may have a strange effect on the handling, keep it all in balance, just my few p'neth, regards Nigel.

I've got the diagram for the rear suspension of the car you have, if you want a copy Blatmail your home e-mail and I'll send it on.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

Paul,

I have just replaced the rear shock absorber locating brackets and U bolts on my 1967 Series 2 Seven with a Standard 10 axle.

If your set up is the same as mine and you just want to remove the spring/damper unit you will need to compress the coil springs before you can remove the unit because at full travel the unit/axle hits the chassis tube. I unbolted the U bolts, disconnected the handbrake cable and then removed the whole lot, bracket and spring/damper unit, and then separated them on the bench.

I replaced all the nuts & bolts and can recommend AHC in Camberley who have most Imperial sizes in stock. I kept my existing springs and Spax adjustables ( last replaced in 1973) as they still seem fine.

I hope all goes well with your planned work; there are not too many Series 2s left. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Steve D

Lotus Super Seven Series 2 - Green, Yellow & Ali.

Thanks for your input guys. All sorted - I was trying not to disturb the U bolts and brake pipes but in the end had to. I have now replaced all four shocks and springs so need to set the ride height and get the car corner weighted next.

Then to source a silencer that actually silences and I may be able to get the old girl back on to a track.

• 2 weeks later...