Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is it possible to remove the diff with the propshaft attached ?

Graham Perry

Reason I ask is that we spent nearly two hours today trying to separate the two in situ as none of the hex/allen bolts would turn despite only being fitted only 9 months ago to the torque shown in the manual. We moved them in the end (they went with a bang) but we were worried they would round off. So is it possible to take the De-dion diff and prop shaft as one unit if required in such a situation ? *confused*

Next thing is to get the diff leak fixed.........

DJ, the prop goes in from the rear so why wouldn't it go out the same way? *confused*Although I've no idea if it will come out whilst still attached to the diff flange but in principle I can't see why not.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

It should just slide out the back of my type 9, but like DJ, I wasn't sure if it would pass through the rear tubework, or if when I lowered the diff and pull it back so that it cleared the fuel tank whether the gearbox end of the shaft would then foul the top of the tunnel. Admittedly the UJ's might make this easier.

I guess its something of a hypothetical but it would be nice to know for future reference, as knowing my luck I won't shift them next time 😳

yes it does slip in from the rear .....phnaarr phnaaarr 😬

but the total length of the prop plus diff means that the prop clashes with the chassis tubes as the diff is lowered between the chassis rails and you end up stuck *biggrin*

(you may sense a slight suggestion of been there done that......... *wink*)

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner