Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Identification of K series head

Chris Norman

I have a 1400 ss, engine block has "webbing" and I had thought this was an early engine with a low port head.

Closer inspection with the inlet manifold removed leads me to think the head is poosibly a high port.

The casting number shown between inlet ports 2 and 3 is "55" and "LDF" there are no further digits.

Also on a machined vertical face just behind the distributor "C R72" is stamped in the head, this looks like an after manufacture marking as opposed to the casting id's above.

I understand the car was originally a race car of 1996/7 origin.

I have looked at DVA site but cannot indetify the head - any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Chris

Hi Oily,

Just in from the garage and I think I have indentified that my existing 1400ss has solid followers. I have taken off the cams and removing a follower reveals a small disc that sits on top of the valve guide, a bit like the ones you have on your site, although they are simple discs not caps.

You mentioned in your earlier post that if the existing head has solid followers I cannot simply switch the SS cams to the new 1800 head (hydraulic followers), just wondering what the reason is for not doing this.

I had wanted a nice simple 1400ss to 1800ss upgrade but this looks like it complicated matters somewhat *confused*

In order to keep the SS cams do I need to swop the complete heads?

Appreciate the advice, I'm now a little lost *confused*

Thanks

Chris

• Leadership Team

Chris,

1. You could swap the whole head which would give you 1800SS with solid followers;

2. You could swap the cams and followers to your new head (but this would require re-shimming, pretty pointless as an alternative to option 1).

I've run solid-follower SS cams with hydraulic followers with no issues, but there is opinion that the profile is different to the SS cams destined for hydraulics. Oily knows more about this than anyone.

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

The reason you cant simply swap them over is that the shims will require sizing to suit in order to ensure the valve clearances are as they should be.

Mechanical profiles have a different initial ramp to close the follower clearance than hydraulic profiles, you *may* be able to run them on hydraulic followers but be prepared for any problems that you could encounter.

Why not just use the SS head in it's entirety, it is much the same as the 1800 head.

Oily