Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1969 Lotus 7 series 3 Clutch Release bearing.

Bob_Rich

I am rebuilding a 1969 series 3 seven. 711m engine by Steve Parker, 2000E gear box, and Hydraulic clutch. The new clutch has "curly fingers" and so should, apparently, be used with a flat release bearing. Burtons do, in size terms, the exact bearing an HD3259 38.25mm bore 68mm OD Depth 15.75mm this is however a round faced bearing. Any one know where an equivilant flat faced bearing can be found? nose of the gear box (over which the bearing carrier slides) is 30.3mm. Would it be OK to use the round bearing with the curly fingers clutch?? use is road and odd track day.

Thanks 4 the reply. Burtons do have both types but the flat faced one (HD3257) has an ID of around 35mm and will not fit the release bearing carrier. They dont appear to do a carrier or an adaptor. I am really looking for conformation that a round bearing can be used with curly finger clutch or is there a alterntaive carrier out there?

I can't see a problem using the round bearing with the curly fingers, it's only steel on steel. Burtons technical guys should have the definitive answer. I'd be interested to know myself, keep us posted.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

The guys at Burton must be able to give you a decent answer.

Do not forget to use the correct combination of master and slave hydraulic cylinder + the tube connecting them. I had a lot of trouble because one of these cylinders had the wrong diameter and the tube between them was not adapted.

No-one has to speak to me ever again about their car having a "heavy clutch". I had to use both feet to change gear. So I always needed a passenger to brake and accelerate ! 😬