Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race brakes are rubbish.....

Unclefester

....on the road!

Why am I surprised?

I just got my race Davrian Mk4 running again after a 4 year layup, and was amazed by how horrible it was to drive on the road.

Appalling level of noise from the gearbox,(straight cut CR Jack Knight with LSD) hard to find gears (not normal) and completely gutless at normal driving-carefully-down-the-lane speeds.....anything more would have been outside the cold braking capacity of the thing.

I realised after the first gear-crunching experience that part of the problem was one I'd inherited....the last owner of the engine/box had not profiled the lightened flywheel correctly, and was running a 5mm spacer between the engine and box.

Which means the clutch thrust rod is 5mm too short.

I've just made a lengthening piece as to remove the thrust rod is not easy.

It's amazing the difference between the 4 wheel unassisted disc setup on this car and the same but with non race pads on the Cateringvan or Elise.....in fact the Davrian brakes feel more like the brakes on our Twincam Seven......ie rubbish at road speeds, though I find them OK on track.

I think I need to invest in some road use pads for both! *tongue*

EDIT to say ....does anyone else find this huge feeling of lack of effective braking with race brakes on the road? I suppose it's simply lack of heat......

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

Edited by - unclefester on 30 Oct 2007 18:37:56

Pagids do seem to be a very good compromise.

I have the blue ones on the Elsie and it's got brilliant braking with lots of bite for road use, (on grooved discs) and is equally good on track.

I think the Dav is on Ferodo race pads sent by Tim Duffee (Darrian) specifically for use with the ali 'Historic acceptable' calipers, but I had totally forgotten how unsuitable they are on the road. They squeal like a cat that's just had a lime-pickle enema......

Either that or I somehow managed to glaze them on the last competition sortie.

I'd better take a look, I think. *rolleyes*

Edited by - Unclefester on 30 Oct 2007 17:13:12

I think altering the pivot point on this setup would be not so simple.....it's a twin master cylinder bias box arrangement for a start. I think it'd mean completely refabricating the pedal lever.

If it's going to be used for mixed road/competition, I think a set of 'road only' pads has to be the answer.

TF, on the car you did this to, were you running a bias-box system or a normal dual circuit master cylinder?

Edited by - Unclefester on 30 Oct 2007 18:44:26