Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Where and how to fit a fire extinguisher

Nick Woods

I've had a hunt through and read all the postings about the pros and cons of different types of extinguisher but cant find anything about where or how to fit one.

I've always carried one in my cars since I heard a particlarly horrifying story about a car fire from a friend of mine who dealt with the insurance claim sad.gif

The obvious place is between the seats but I was wondering if in the event of an accident it might go flying off just when I needed it the most.

So, can those of you with extinguishers fitted pass on your knowledge of where (and how) to fit one ?

Thanks

Nick Woods

P8MRA - The green one with red wings

Edited by - Nick Woods on 30 Apr 2002 13:33:58

Ours is mounted on the floor of the pax footwell. Fine for getting in and out with the hood off, but more awkward if the hood is up. Answer.... leave hood at home, after all we're a tough lot here wink.gif

We considered mounting it between the seats, but it's too tall for the tonneau in that position

I think its a good idea to have some kind of overcentre catch on the mounting. The one that came with my (ex Academy) car has this, as did the one I bought from GP Racewear for a previous car.

If the extinguisher comes loose in an accident it could do a lot of damage.

Mine is mounted in the passenger footwell - still plenty of room for passengers legs and handbag too.

Jonathan

I've mounted mine between the seats with a very small tie-it to stop it moving about/comming lose. I'm sure it will stay put if theres an acident, and if there is a fire I'll be quite motivated to remove it!

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

AFFF, 1.75l min.

Bought one from Grandprix Racewear for about 40-45 quid. sits across the passenger footwell and bolts through the floor. Use BIG washers above and below the floor so it doesn't rip the floor out when your dumb arse passenger kicks it.

Comes with the over centre catch.

Think it's a Lifeline make. Nice and red.