Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LHD C7

Mark Ellis

Can't help on which edition of LF I'm afraid. I take it you are in the market for a LHD car. Where do you intend using it? Would be interested to compare notes as I am also after an LHD Se7en but don't fancy paying Central European prices.

Mark E

I want the car for Dubai. There are currently six or seven Caterhams in the UAE at the moment. Can't drive RHD cars on the roads here so have to go LHD. Parts are obviously a big issue as is servicing and general maintenance. I am thinking that old technology may be best hence leaning towards x-flow or vx 2 litre on carbs rather than K series and injection. Fortunately petrol consumption is not an issue out here!! It is very difficult to find any LHD 7s for sale in the UK. Thinking about the cost of buying a RHD 7 and getting it converted to LHD. How long have you been looking?

Dubai! spent a couple of days there last year (working in Qatar at the time)didn't see any 7's only Lambo's etc good idea, wish i had snapped that one up last year but i had one and no were to put a second!what are the costs of changing rhd to lhd any idea?

I guess it depends very much on which engine chassis combo you plump for. I am returning to the UK on holiday in July and thought I would contact Caterham when I am back. It would be useful to find out from Caterham the number of LHD cars supplied/built in each engine combination. I suspect for example that there have only been a few vx 2 litre carb cars supplied/built. One of the guys here in Dubai has one, built it three or so years ago in UK and shipped it out. During the build he kept ringing up Caterham to ask questions and they said "we haven't done many of these [iN LHD]".

Is it possible to drive a RHD car in Portugal?

Edited by - rodders on 30 Apr 2002 05:28:06

Yes, it is possible to drive a RHD 7 over here and it can be matriculated on to porky plates, it is just that i do not like the idear of driving a car that low over here with the stearing wheel on the wrong side! so i guess that i will have keep looking.

Hello Mark and Rodders,

I was looking last year into building a LHD. When I went to order with cheque in hand from Caterham they let me in for a big suprise!!!!

A surcharge of £1000 for LHD. No mention before on any of their corespondance. Told them where to go and brought a RHD secondhand instead.

May still buy a LHD kit now I know exactly what I want next year.

I shall be going for the Raceline Duratec engine with exhaust on RH side. More reliable than the K series engine. Gather easy to do LHD version.

Good luck

Richard