Click here if you are having website access problems ×

O/T Mini - Won't Start...

Mike Oxbiggar

Any ideas?

SWMBO's Mini - J Reg, 998cc. Ran OK for around 100 miles after we picked it up last week.

Changed oil, oil filter, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor and brake pads yesterday.

Ran it for a mile after the above... all OK.

Then I ran it round the block again - but engine cut out after about a mile. Waited 10 minutes, it started and I drove home.

Now the little sh1t won't start at-all. Turns over fine, seems to want to fire up. Fuel pump's working - tested that.

As a real numptie I have no idea where else to look as it has one of those awful carburettor thingys.... *eek*

Any suggestions gratefully recieved... *smile*

K16OOC - Bailey's MANGO Handbag *cool*

Webshots here

Hi

I'd start with the obvious things first like has it got fuel in it? Have you got a spark at the plugs etc etc?

Do Minis of that vintage still have points? If yours does I would check/clean/change the points and condenser. If it restarted after it cooled down it suggests it could be electrical such as the coil or the condenser....

CAB.

Put an HT lead in your mouth and crank the engine over 😳 That should tell you - briefly!

Remove an ht lead from a plug (only at one end).

Put a spark plug in, and hold the lead in a dry cloth, so that the plug touches the engine.

Get Jade to turn over the engine on the starter while you look for a spark.

Has the dizzy cap still got a carbon brush in?

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Is that J-reg first time around, or second ??

Old - points probably slipped and closed up completely.

Or float valve in carburettor has a leak, allowing float to fill with fuel and sink.

Or top of dashpot screw on SU carburettor has come unscrewed and won't allow carb to operate properly. Ditton no oil in dashpot.

All recalled from my days with a Mini (sorry - Austin Seven Countryman from 1961)

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. photos

*arrowup* *arrowup* No ☹️

*arrowup*SM25T - Its's a 1991/2 "J". There's oil in't dashpot.

Contacts etc.. all beyond me. SWMBO's getting on the phone to a local garage this morning as my limited knowledge of engines has been exhausted. *smile*

Cheers chaps! *thumbup*

K16OOC - Bailey's MANGO Handbag *cool*

Webshots here

• Area Representative

😬

Dodgy coils can run and then give up, then run again, causing much head scratching. I remember helping my brother with his Mini about 30 years ago and we replaced pretty much the whole ignition system . . . naturally the coil was the last thing we checked *rolleyes*

An easier and less hazardous way of checking for sparks is to buy an in-line HT tester, which fits between the leads and plugs and flashes when it's fed HT elecktrickery. Only a few quid.

Crudders