Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Should the coolant pressure cap have an o-ring?

Tom_C

Busy weekend again...

Drained the coolant, replaced all the hoses as they were perished after 2 years and 16500 miles. Refilled system, airlocked in the bypass hose. Fixed that, then spotted an o-ring in the bowl of drained coolant.

Does it belong in the pressure cap, as I can't see anywhere else it could have come from...

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

Without checking I am not sure, but I am guessing that the expansion cap has a flat-type o-ring if it has one.

If you have found a 'round' section o-ring, check it isn't from where the black themostat housing is pushed into the block. I managed to break one as I tried to push the housing back into position - if it is that one, it will leak!

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 11 Jun 2007 12:36:49

Angus, what I've found sounds very much like you describe, a round section ring as woudl go between two mating faces. Only thing is that I didn't have the thermostat housing off the block. Only place it could have come from is either out of the stat housing itself, or pushed on before the J hose, which would seem wrong/pointless.

Peter, what shape ring should it be? a flat or round section?

BTW please give generously to Bundle's Big Charity Walk for Asthma research here Ta.

Cheers

Tom

FH54WLX

see here - UPDATED again

Tom

Having recently done this job too, I can confirm that there is a black rubber O-ring on the thermostat housing outlet, over which the J-hose goes. Some people reckon this is superfluous because the plastic housing itself is a very tight fit for the hose, so you'll probably be alright if it was that one. If it does leak, a extra turn on the jubilee clip should sort it!

Incidentally, my expansion tank cap has a flat black rubber washer, not an O-ring as such.

Peter Burt