Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake light fuses!!

IKB

The 15a fuse (brake lights/reversing lamp) keeps blowing on my 2001 live axle car. I have followed the threads on this problem and the brake light switch is not shorting nor does there appear a problem with the reversing switch wiring contacting the bodywork. I have removed and reinserted the stop/tail bulbs. Is there any other obvious area or have I got to book it into the electrical doctor? After replacing the fuse and reversing out of my garage everything is OK but after a few miles, on my return Bingo no brake lights!

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a faulty reverse switch, ( think I got mine from a vauxhall dealership ) for a ford gearbox *confused* I also placed insulation tape around the location of the reverse switch on the bodywork as an extra precaution, and it sorted the problem out *thumbup* *smile*

Hi Brunel. You might find that the fault is in the wiring loom just above the gearbox

the best way to find the fault is to solder two length"s of wire to each side of the blown fuse,spade terminal to each of the other end and fit the terminals to any good

headlamp bulb,then plug in the fuse turn the ignition on and if you still have a short

present the bulb will glow bright,then to simply find the short adjust the loom and look

for the bulb to go dim,at that point you will no were to repair the the faulty wiring,or

switch "etc" this test will save yer pocket on fuses, good look.

Stu *thumbup*

...this problem sounds like the split pin on the clutch pedal (the one through the clutch clevis pin) slowly rotating with the clevis pin due to clutch use and every so often the end of one of the opened out legs touches the brake switch live feed and blows the fuse. Hence the symptom of fixing it, it is ok for a few miles, then next time you check - fuse blown again.

I only found this fault due to someone posting on here a couple of years back.

Worth a quick look under the pedal box cover and making sure the ends of this split pin are bent well back out of harms way...

Peter

Red Roadsport SV

FP53FHB

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. Problem solved *thumbup*: it was the connnectors to reverse switch which have been rubbing away over the past 7 years/7000miles and causing a short when the body makes connection.

Barely visible to the eye it was enough to cause my problem. Been solved by remaking the bullet connector further away from the gearbox tunnel and good quality heat shrink insulation.

At least you will know when I am chicken going into the roundabouts here in Paradise City *smile*