Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's this alloy thing?

Unclefester

I've been checking out the plumbing on the Pace Drysump system now the missing mounting dowel has arrived from Pace, which was very quick indeed....thanks Pace!

I THINK I've got it right, but there is a mystery thing in the line running from the top middle outlet on the pump to the upper inlet on the left side of the car on the oiltank.

Is this some sort of mounting unit for a remote oil pressure sender/switch? If so, it's not the standard one Brise and Think automotive supply, which has a takeoff point on the filter housing, which is blanked off in fact on this kit.

If the thing is what I suppose it must be, I'd like to know where it's from and get the other bits.....

Here's my interpretation of how the plumbing should be..

here

here

here

here

here

Another thing I'd like to know is where would the oil cooler go in this system?

I have extra pipe, but which line should it go in? *confused*

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds..ooooh hooo hooo!!...

😬 😬Abbey Road Time-Machine *eek* *eek*

That is a Mocal Stat take off.

This allows a sender to be placed in the system to read temperature.

An oil cooler can be placed in either the pressure sid or the retun side, it makes no difference.

This is unless you run a oil stat, then really you should run it in the return line feed. *thumbup*

R500 260 BHP Mango Madness CAR NO-37

Cor - that looks familiar 😬

BRG Brooklands SV 2.0L Ammo Duratec 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Was that your blue pipe Pace system then Tony? Have you got any pix of it in the car?

Did you run an oilcooler with it as I seem to have picked one up but wasn't certain it was part of this system or not?

If so, did you run an oilstat, and where can I gat a Mocal sender?

Also, where did you have the oilpressure sender and switch, did you have the Pace hose from the oilfilter housing to a 'T' piece?

Oh yeah, where do the two tanktop breathers go? I know one goes to one of the spigots on the camcover, but what about t'other?? *confused*

Edited by - Unclefester on 7 May 2007 21:22:53

Yup 😬

Only pics I have - didn't remember how crowded the engine compartment was with the K-Series boat anchor 😬

here

here

here

Didn't run an oil cooler - didn't find any need.

The aluminium item in the return line to the tank is for a mechanical oil temperature transducer - available from Think Automotive.

The oil pressure was sensed at the oil filter housing. Again the mechanical set-up from Think, as itemised in 7FAQ.

I had both of the tanktop breathers going to a catch tank.

BRG Brooklands SV 2.0L Ammo Duratec 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Edited by - Tony C on 7 May 2007 22:44:40

Thanks for that, Tony. Can't think where the oilcooler came from......maybe it was with the engine from Peter Carmichael? Yes, must have been! 😬

Nice oilcooler though, I'll use it on my other race Davrian if the K keeps adequately cool in the Sahara like conditions here. *smile*

Tony, I see you were running with the filter taking air from the area behind the rad, where it's a bit warmish.

Is this the common setup with an SV?

Mine hasn't got an airbox, which I suppose would be sensible for track use anyway, but I had thought about cutting an ole in the bonnet side and putting a sort of scoop as on NRN7, Graham Nearn's Lotus S3Twincam SS, which is the only car I've seen with one. As seen here

This would mean good cold air feed, with some extra sound shielding effect.

Edited by - Unclefester on 8 May 2007 10:37:09

Fester, I'd 2nd Tonys remarks about the cooler. The problem I had was getting enough heat into the system. I ended up lagging the tank to keep the heat in 😬

Dave.

Hope you get your motor back in one piece ☹️

Being an SV and there being quite a nice gap between the top of the radiator and the nosecone, the air going to the air filter was only just above ambient when driving.

I put a temp probe into the airbox and another sensing OAT and there was only 3 degrees C difference - negligable *cool* I fitted a temporary baffle to prevent any air exiting the radiator getting to the filter and it didn't make any difference to the temperature inside the airbox.

Tony, The catch tank with level indicator....where did you get that? Does it actually fill up?

I've had problems with Think, who no longer stock the MOCAL block or sensor, what off the partbin list OE part would you use for the oiltemp sensor?

Did you use the standard Think smallbore aeroquip hose running from the oil filter housing (currently plugged) to a T piece for the pressure sensor and pressure switch?

Edited by - Unclefester on 9 May 2007 13:40:56

Got the catch tank from Think. It's the 1 litre size, but if were buying another I'd go for the 2 litre. Not because the small one overflows with oil, but the vent to atmosphere through the cap carried a lot of oil mist with it - messy.

Are you saying that Think no longer sell some items of the "Kit" of parts listed in 7FAQ for the mechanical oil pressure sender?

The line from the oil filter housing to the 'T' piece is the same type of hose as that used on the front brakes.

Haven't a clue. I fitted the in-pipe device so I could use a mechanical oil temp gauge from Think that has a 3/8 BSP male connection. 3/8 BSP is surprisingly large. If you wanted to fit an electrical transducer you will probably require an adaptor.

you need a sender that is compatable with the guages in your dash - if these are caterham guages then it would make sense to buy one from caterham ( about £7) there are 2 sorts depending if your guages are VDO or Caerbont. (?)

you need to check if the Mocal sender housing is 3/8 thread - this is the thread that the caterham guages use - the same as your water tempo sensor in the top rail from the head *wink*.

is there not a sender boss welded into the dry sump tank ?

Dave, Thanks for that, I'll check the thread for compatability. The sole sender socket in the tank is a very small one which currently is plugged.

Not at all sure what its supposed to take in the way of a sender but I assume it's something odd otherwise Tony C wouldn't have opted for the MOCAL unit which at least has a normal sized hole.

Well, Dave, basically it's a sort of bitza. The engine is the ex PTP team race engine from 2004, which was fully rebuilt by PTP at the end of that season, replacing everything but the block, as they told me. Forged crank, Carrillo rods, Omega pistons, and over 214bhp. Weird thing is, no verniers! Dave Andrews is sending me some.

This engine I bought from Peter Carmichael.

When I bought it, it had a normal Titan purple-pump drysump, with a cylindrical Pace tank, which wasn't a lot of use to me as the SV has long passenger footwell, so when my good buddy Simon Hayward offered a swap with a Pace system he's got from Tony Cummings, I agreed. This has the Brise kidney tank.

The exhaust was from TonyC as well.

Still waiting for my EU2 loom to arrive, plus the Emerald seems to still be en route. *smile*

I'm looking forward to dropping this motor in the SV, the old one is nearly ready to lift out! *thumbup*

Dave, The smaller brass sender seems to be the same size and thread though I couldn't get the blanking plug out as it's some weird allen size between metric 4 and 5 *confused*

What are you suggesting? Is there an oiltemp sender wit the right sort of range similar to the water temp sensor I took out?

In fact the threaded hole in the Mocal is very large, about 20mm (not measured it mind)

The thread in the alloy thing is 3/8 BSP.

*rolleyes* golly you are hard work *wink*

right well buy another brass water temp sender from caterham ( suitable for your particular guages) and then screw this into the boss on the tank ( once you removed the blanking plug with an imperial allen key)and use this to measure the oil temp. Feed both senders to the water temp guage *biggrin* and then with a 3 position switch you can flick between water and oil temp .......

then dispose of the Mocal sender housing .

Erm. Ok.......I didn't realise you could use a water temp sender for the oil....I suppose I was thinking about temp SWITCHES which have a preset!

Why the dual purpose guage? To avoid cluttering the dash?

My car is an SV, remember, has about half a square metre of dash doing nowt but looking black.... *wink*