Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical Problem

RDEX

Help required please. I have a minor problem with the fuel gauge on my K series and in trying to remedy it I have inadvertently caused other problems.

The fuel gauge displays a full tank however much is actually available, I gather this might be caused by an earthing some ware and in trying to track this I removed what I assume are 3 relays plugged in under the dash directly above the drive tunnel. On removing these no change occurred to the gauge but on returning them I have caused another problem.

Now the (driver side ONLY) side lights don’t work

The Dash Lights don’t Work

And the Fog lights don’t work.

Can anyone tell me if these blocks I think are relays need to go back into a specific place? I may have got them muddled. Also any advice about the gauge would be gratefully received.

Thanks all.

The relays are different - especially the hazard relay and the indicator relay. The main/dip beam relay is fairly standard - but if you mix them up you'll end up with some odd symptoms.

Check in the build or user manuals for the locations of each relay.

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I have just had exactly the same fault with my fuel guage although on a Vauxhall VX Seven.

I checked all the usual things and then detached the 'sender' feed to the back of the guage ( Green with a black trace) and the reading still showed Full. This must I am hoping, indicate a guage fault internally and am about to replace the unit with a new one.

I will let you know if my theory is wrong. If it is I am stuck for ideas too!!

Hope this helps?

Andrew

I had a problem with the fuel guage reading full on my xflow some years back. The problem turned out to be a sticky sender, had to remove it from the tank and free it up. It's worked OK for the last 8 or 9 years, so I think it's fixed (tempting fate, saying things like that blush.gif)

Dave H

Couple of malfunctions I've encountered, Andrew, before you lay out for a new bit...

1) The live terminal on top of the sender touching underside of alu boot floor under heavy load (luggage, I mean).

I think this was after switching to the much thicker 'rubber' gasket from the thin cork one.

2) Tiny wire at the top of the sender/float assembly, bit inside the tank. coming adrift.

Can't remember, though, whether either of these give a full or empty deflection (and not in the mood to work it out!).

Thanks Tony,

I have already removed the sender unit from the tank and all appears in order. The little wire was intact and I could detect no short. Mine has the thinner cork gasket on it and in any event, I had a blob of silicone on top of the terminal to ensure no contact with the boot floor. Surely the ally would not short it out anyway?

Andrew

Replacement guage fitted and all working fine. If you disconnect the 'sender' feed to the back of the guage(Black/green) and the unit still shows full, with the ignition on , this would appear to be the same problem as mine.....an internal fault.

If you have the earlier VDO clocks and need to get one, I'd sit down before asking Caterham for a price!!!

I was lucky and managed to source one through the wanted forum.

If you are in no rush, I understand that VDO service department can be very helpful. Might be a cheaper option.

Good luck.

Andrew