Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower wishbone spherical bearing - suspect wishbone housing knackered

Tony C

2003 SV

How much of an interference fit should there be between the bearing and the wishbone?

While checking out strange noises from front nearside, heard when pushing the 7 back into the garage, I noticed it was possible to get vertical movement on the L/H upright. I could see that the spherical bit was moving up and down within its race. (The fibre lining is coming out one side).

Checked with CC this morning and ordered a new pair of bearings - Sod's Law being what it is, the offside might not be far behind - though it's fine at the moment.

I looked at all the good information in the "Search" and decided to remove the wishbone from the car so I could use the press at work to remove and refit the bearing. Just finished taking it off and once the spiral "Circlip" was removed the bearing just fell out of the housing. There is evidence that the outer race has been rotating within the wishbone. The bearing is very shiny on its outside face and the wishbone housing looks corroded. The bearing easily slides in and out and can rotate freely.

If, as I suspect, the wishbone housing is worn, the new bearing will also be free to rotate even when using Loctite “Bearing Fit” as advised.

I’ll try it first of course, but it looks like I might need a new wishbone 🙆🏻

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Edited by - Tony C on 10 Apr 2007 21:52:41

Replaced mine in the past and they didn't fall out when the circlip was removed. I used a bench vice and a couple of suitably sized sockets to press them out.

Some wear in my current ones was spotted at MOT last week so seems I may be having to do them again soon.

Loctite definitely required.

Steve.

West Sussex AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Johnty,

Which Loctite are yuo referring to that requiress and activator? When I fitted my last ones I checked the Loctite webbie and got to one that was a stud and bearing lock but doesn't require an activator *confused*

Steve.

West Sussex AO

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Loctite 641 here. Looks like it is good for gaps up to 0.25mm (72 hour cure).

Sliding fit *eek*

I guess manufacturing tolerances between bearing and housing can give different levels of fit - I'll check with CC - maybe I had a small bearing and a big hole and the looseness caused the PTFE liner to migrate.

What appears to be corrosion in the housing might be Loctite Bearing Fit residue.

Thanks for the info.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Bright lamp and a magnifying glass shows the bearing housing is heavily pitted with corrosion.

New wishbone ordered 🙆🏻