Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shocker replacement

alextangent

Got a leaking front shock ☹️ and I'm a numpty in the suspension dept

It's a bog-std 1993 live axle supersprint, so I presume narrow track. What's the best option shock for replacement? All road use. And what kind of price should I be looking at for shocks (no springs) only?

How do I remove? If the car's jacked up so that the front is at max droop, then presumably the bolts top & bottom can be removed without there being any spring pressure? Presumably fitting is the reversal of removal...

Added to say; these any good here

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS

Edited by - alextangent on 11 Mar 2007 22:30:27

Alex,

Your removal / replacement methodology is exactly what I have done with mine. I needed to apply a fair amount of downward pressure to the bottom wishbone to get the bolt to line up with the hole in the damper (for which a third hand would have been useful).

With hindsight, if I had slackened off the roll bar then this might have been much easier.

Not sure if this is the correct procedure but I remove the bottom bolt first and then the top to remove the damper and for replacement fittend the top first and then the lower bolt. It worked for me on a 93 de dion.

HTH,

Nick.

• Leadership Team

Just be careful about the bottom shock bolt. I think you will find that it is an allen key headed bolt, and they are known to seize. Get yourself a decent fitting hex socket, and try to loosen it whilst the car is sitting on the ground. Otherwise the spring and gravity will put a lot of pressure on the bolt.

I replaced both my shocks last year and actually ended up replacing both front wishbones as these bolts were both seized in solid.

As for replacements, why not stick with the originals - presumably Bilstein (or maybe spax). If you fancy a change I fitted freestyle shocks and can highly recommend them

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the best approach is to loosen on the ground. The bottom bolt is exactly that; a big booger of a bolt with about 1/2inch of protruding thread (it's a trunnion job). The originals aren't known to me; the outside of the shocks have been sprayed after corrosion. They're adjustable; not for spring height, but there's a small screwable grub for rebound adjustment. I suppose CC would know.

What should I be paying? Around the price here 🤔 🤔

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS