Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Template for 4 into 1 exhaust

Nemo

Can anybody provide me with either accurate dimensions or a template to enable me (or a bodyshop) to enlarge the hole in the side skin for a 4 into 1 side exit exhaust.

The car is a 1990 De Dion Supersprint with standard 1700cc X Flow engine that currently has a rear exit exhaust. I am hoping to fit a second hand unit in March when it comes available from a fellow L7C member. I don't have access to the exhaust at present.

TIA

KAP

I hope you're enjoying the ride....I am! 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

*thumbup*You better blatmail me with how to find you *smile*.

Do you think I'll be able to do this without bringing the 7 with me 🤔

K

Edited by - KAP on 15 Jan 2007 13:47:34

Thanks for the offer CageyH but a K is different. I realised that when I arrived at Dave J's last night -he has a K Series 😳. Mine's a 1700 X Flow. So my question still stands re help with the dimensions or a template.

BTW Thanks for the link Myles.

I did this very thing a couple of years ago, to my xflow . The good chaps at CC spare parts gave me a template on a bit of card with the hole marked and datum points on the chassis to work from. Give them a try. Unfortunately I dont have the template any more. Good luck

Dave B

Thanks Dave *thumbup* As you suggested I tried those nice chaps at CC spares they suggested I take car in and they would use their jig - no offer of a template though. Bit of a drive for me to CC. Perhaps I'll get in touch with Millwoods they might know and they're much nearer to me. Thanks anyway *thumbup*

Yes Emma I do have a hole 😳 😬

The thing is I want to get the hole enlarged in the next few weeks before the side skins have a respray. Unfortunately the exhaust is not available until March so I can't use it as a "guide" for enlarging the hole to the right (not too big) size.

You'll be really, *really* hacked off if you cut a random hole on the basis of a chunk of cornflakes-packet, have the panels re-sprayed and then find the exhaust is different in some subtle way...

If you are careful, doing it the 'hard' way (as in the link I provided) will result in a perfect hole for *your* exhaust and won't result in any paint-damage at all.

You know it makes sense - and I know you're worried about slipping and scratching your spangly new paintwork.

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Equipe™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I second Myles' advice, having just completed this myself (on a K). I tried to make a template from another car, but did it the long way in the end. Quite time consuming (I was fairly cautious), but its a smaller neater hole. Had no problems with paint chipping. Having a template is one thing, but getting in in the exact right position on your car with your pipes is another. Definitely use ALOT of masking tape around the hole. Obvious really, but that saved me a few big scratches!

[Thanks for the other advice too Myles]

AB