Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Racetech performance meter

danwhiley

Anyone got any comments on the RaceTech AP-22 performance meter? Basically, this little gizmo measures g-forces longditudinal and lateral. Kind of cool for g-circles, although it claims to do boy-racer stuff like 0-60mph and quarter-mile timings.

Anyone got one and have positive / negative views?

Dan.

Lovely little piece of kit easy to use and astonishingly accurate, we had a play with one at the last Santa Pod day when V7 SLR was up against Alexs beastie, it proved very very accurate, its a handy device for debunking the b*llsh*tters too.

Its also designed and made by a seven owner...

Oily

I bought one of these and have found it great fun.

The numbers it was churning out seemed very believable.

Without trying too hard I managed 0-60 in 6.3 seconds in a 1.6k SS - I didn't dump the clutch (I want my clutch to last!) which meant the engine bogged down a fair bit due to the long 1st gear of the 6 speed box

this seems to tie in with the official figure of 5.7 (ish)

all i know is that this felt bloody quick to me which makes me wonder what an R500 feels like.....

Good, no, excellent bit of kit. Take the time to set it up properly and, as oilyhands said, it's remarkably accurate.

You can also, by adding in a few key values such as weight, work out the power at the back wheels. When I tried this I didn't believe the figure it was giving me (too low) but a subsequent rolling road session proved it to have been right on the money (unfortunately !!).

Once you get beyond the basic 0-60 runs there is a vast array of useful data that it can give you.

We've started a database of AP-22 results over at Fluke Motorsport (www.fluke-motorsport.co.uk/technical.html). We want to get as much data in there as possible. Currently we're just testing it out with 0-60mph readings but once enough data has been submitted it will include all the various readings that the AP-22 logs.

My old SLR is topping the list with Mr Finlayson's transit van rental at the bottom If you've got any (and we mean any) AP-22 data kicking around on your computer send it in and we'll add to the database.

Edited by - clarkey on 19 Mar 2002 12:27:14