Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Silcone hose leak

SLR69

I am relatively new to 7 ownership (4 months) and have an SLR that has developed a water leak from a silicone hose that I am baffled with and am struggling to fix. The hoses were all replaced last year so they should be fine.

There are two sections of silicone hose connected by a black plastic tube and a slight leak developed from what appeats to be the lower section of hose. I hoped that tightening the jubilee clip would fix it but this made the leak worse. I then moved the jubilee clip nearer the edge of the hose but no joy. I then put on another jubilee clip so have two side by side but still no joy.

I wondered whether the plastic joining pipe is leaking but it appears fine and it does look as though the water is still coming out of the hose despite two jubilee clips being done up very tight.

I suspect that I am going to have to drain the system and take off the hoses and plastic pipe and have a look but as space is at a premium with various pipes, cables, etc that look as though they are going to have to be removed to get any access, what looks like a ten minute job will no doubt take several hours.

Anyone had similar problems with silcone hoses where they connect with the plastic joining tube and if so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Stuart

Kawasaki Green SLR No 69

Where is this located; behind the engine?

Is it full diameter hose or about 1"

I had a problem with the plastic joiner in the 1" ish diameter hose that passes behind the engine. It had been butchered during disassembly/reassembly and had broken half way through - in line with the jubilee clip, so can't be seen externally. Unfortunately I only discovered this while driving, but luckily noticed the water temp increasing and shut it off. The friendy AA man fixed me up, but I then replaced the plastic joiner with a metal one.

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is the smaller diameter tube of about 1" at the rear of the engine.

There are three sections of hosing from the top rear of the engine down to the bottom front of the engine. The hose connects to the rear of the engine and then there is a plastic joiner, then another section of hosing with another plastic joiner before the longest section of hosing. The leak is between the second and third sections of hosing which is beneath the distibutor cap/throttle bodies but appears to be from the long third section of hose.

The symptoms you had could be the same as I have which would explain why it is leaking more if it is a split in the plastic joiner but hidden just under the hose, albeit why it has decide to leak now and not before is a bit of a mystery.

Where did you get the metal joiner from and do you know what bore size they are - I have had a look on Demon Tweeks website and it looks as though they might have some but it doesn't say what they are made of - size wise I would guess at 16mm or 19mm from the sizes that they sell as the next size up at 25mm looks too large ?

Stuart

The symptoms you had could be the same as I have which would explain why it is leaking more if it is a split in the plastic joiner.

I'll go and measure mine when it's stopped raining *cool*

BRG Brooklands SV 😬 It seems that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

The inside diameter of my silicone hose in that location is 16mm *cool*

Get a metal one and one for your spares box; those plastic ones are Carp.