Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fia rollbar and my hood

Jam Mad

having just fitted an fia rollbar, i was surprised to find that my hood no longer fits. it is not a tall bar, and the shortfall of hood to poppers is only a centimetre or two.. but it's not going to budge.

i realised that if the smaller of the hood frame pieces was shorter by a couple of centimetres, ( the one that attaches to the main hood frame that hinges on the car ) it would release enough of the hood for it to fit again.. but i didn't realise i'd need to modify/ replace my hood frame, i only thought that it was the boot cover that needed changing.

does this ring any bells to anyone ? it shouldn't be too hard to do but i'm puzzled nevertheless....

j

Jam,

I almost had the same problem when I fitted my FIA bar, although the hood just about fits it is stretched very very tight and is a real b@rstard to fit. It seems to me that its all down to how the poppers and bases were originally fitted to the hood/boot. Some cars obviously have more slack in the hood than others.

I have now solved the problem. I bought some aeroscreens teeth.gif

Hopefully someone else will be along with the definitive answer to your problem.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Edited by - c7cat on 18 Mar 2002 11:19:02

Is this a High Viz top?

I have been planning to fit a FIA bar to my car with NON-hi-viz top. I have asked several people whether it will cause problems with the top and got roughly 50/50 answers yes and no - including both from Caterham.

I spoke to several people who could say that they had successfully fitted the FIA bar without problems, but all were Hi-viz.

Does live verses dedion make any difference?

I too would like to know before I order the FIA bar.

J

mine is a high viz top on a live axle... as i say, it's not hard to fix.. i'll just need to lightly modify the hood frame, but i just wasn't expected to have to do it.

but it does make sense that it will be different depending on the car, as to where the poppers have been placed.

i think you just have to go for it, and sort it out afterwards.. there doesn't seem to be any way of knowing in advance.

j

Another option - contact Oxtead Trimming who will, almost whilst you wait, insert a new 'band' around the base of the hood. I've not yet had mine done, and I agree that it is a real pig to fit a standard hood over the bar. Andy Harding had his hood adjusted in this fashion last year, and is well chuffed with the result.

I fitted an FIA bar to my short cockpit, live axle ready for the track day at Oulton last summer.The hood will no longer fit and neither will the "boot" area cover which will need modifying. Caterham merely said that they don't do a hood suitable for this set up.It will mean modifying the hood frame and a new hood.

Originally, couldn't decide wether to bother with a hood or not but on the way home from the International Meeting at Oulton last year, in torrential rain, the road at one point was partially flooded. I hit said flood, the resulting bow wave came over the screen and deposited itself in the cockpit. I couldn't have been wetter if I had jumped in a river..... I think I will a hood after all !

eh ? that's a new one on me ?!?!?! if you put the hood on you wouldn't be able to lift the hood frame inside the car... the tension around the base of the roof would prevent it, i'm sure.

i'll give it a try though, along with the excellent window unzipping tip.

oh, skypilot, do you have contact details for oxstead trimming ? is that the lady called gill ?

j

I have to have the frame straps nice and loose allowing the frame to be well out of the way when doing up the poppers, make sure the hood is not stretching over the frame as you do the poppers up.

When my FIA was fitted the hood got tighter as it is slightly pushing up on the hood - try getting the hood nice and warm first, it makes a big difference.

Edited by - minty on 19 Mar 2002 09:10:09

try getting the hood nice and warm first, it makes a big difference.

You can't beat a good bit of theory smile.gif. In practice you only fit the hood when its cold and pi**ing down sad.gif

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud teeth.gif ...well it only sounds fast officer blush.gif

Edited by - c7cat on 19 Mar 2002 09:57:09

I know a couple of people in my local (Bristol) L7C group, who have live axle cars and went to FIA bars. They can't fit their hoods either. Seems to be a feature of the FIA bar fitted to the live axle chassis. Sounds like the Oxted option is the best bet, if you want to keep the hood.