Click here if you are having website access problems ×

4:2:1 v. 4:1 long header exhaust system

Englishmaninwales

Certainly a 4-2-1 exhaust promotes the torque to be lowered in the rev range as oppsoed to a 4-1.But whether you will gain much from just swapping them without a mapable ECU i cannot tell you. A before and after session on a Dynoe will give you the result. *thumbup*

R500 Mango Madness

Hi Malcolm

The 4:2:1 is supposed to give more low down torque.

It would be worth putting your car on a dyno 1st - to see if it lacking in torque + power *wink* - not that I think it is (apart from racing blue Izuzu pickups through Wales *tongue* 😳 *tongue*)

Best wishes for New Year

H

I've changed from a short primaried 4-1 with cat to CC 4-2-1 w/o cat and IMHO the increase in torque, especially in the midrange, is significant. Hope to do another dyno power run again sometime to confirm what I can feel through my 🙆🏻 😬

Not sure how noticeable or cost effective it would be to change from the long primaried 4-1 though.

Bozz

McLaren Orange and Black 1.6SS 6 Speed here

I changed from 4-1 > 4-2-1 Caterham systems and there was an increase in midrange torque with no losses at peak, tested at Emerald. The 4-2-1 also filled in a hole at around 5500 of about 8ft/lb. You realy need to optimise the cam timing too, add a larger throtlle body and connect up a cold air feed to the plenhum *smile*.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia Area Rep *thumbup*

Rob W 😬

Dave J:

You realy need to optimise the cam timing too, add a larger throttle body and connect up a cold air feed to the plenum

The cam timing is as set up by Dave Andrews. Are there better settings for the 4:2:1? I'm restricted (class 2 regs)to the standard TB as fitted to the SS aluminium plenum. Cold air is an easy mod for the forward facing TB *thumbup*

I think the cam settings are the same unless you were to experiment on the dyno with the exhaust .

I think its more what the mems and IVAC can cope with as overlap and reverse pulse etc than the introduction of the exhaust.

are you using a forward facing 1400 plenhum then ?. That has a huge throttle body *biggrin* *wink* no worries there then *cool*