Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT near Brighton (and brake light problem)

norbs

Can anyone recommend a Caterham friendly MOT centre near Brighton/Seaford?

I am having some trouble with intermittent brake lights too (currently not working at all). I've tried some of the ideas on blatchat, but all have failed to fix the issue (as did the Green Flag bloke that came out). Its not fuse or bulb related, so I think its either the switching mechanism, or the wiring near the pedal box... Suggestions welcome but would be happy to pay for its repair from the MOT place/garage.

CC in Caterham aren't too far, but I don't think they do MOTs do they? Or whether they are the best choice for minor electrical work...

thanks in advance,

Andy

Thanks Neil - but without brakelights I'd like to keep my arm waving to a minimum, so something near to my parents place (where the car is currently marooned) in Brighton would be bettter. I appreciate I can't be too fussy though, its a 1.6SL without a cat' that should pass fine (once the brakelights are fixed) so someone experienced at MOTing 7s is the most important thing! *smile*

Andy

I haven't, no... It didn't look possible when I checked (although that was late at night). Will check. What's the most common failure with these things? I believe mine isn't the hydraulic switch.. Is it the wiring?

thanks,

Andy

Andy, I'm not sure what the "hydraulic switch" is but on my car (a 51 plate K series) I had an intermittent brake light issue which (thanks to advice on Blatchat) was dealt with by taking off the pedal box cover and adjusting the switch & its contacts (plus spraying it with WD40). I'll see if I can find the thread I posted asking for advice on this.

Stelios the Bubble *confused*

Click here for my Caterham 7 page or here for some photos

Now thats my kind of repair job! A screwdriver and some WD40! Excellent... one problem down, one to go. If it works, I owe the person who set up blatchat a beer. 😬

If anyone knows the name of any MOT places near Brighton or the south coast, it'd be gratefully received too.

cheers,

Andy

You mention Seaford. I am/was a Seaford lad (lived there for the first 25 years of my life and now just live just along the coast at Saltdean. Kevin Lower at Stafford Road Garage in Seaford used to own a Caterham and could be the person to speak to re MOT.

As to brake lights, I have a 2004 K Series VVC and have to change the switch (only £3/£4 from Caterham) every 9 months or so. I think it is the spring that gets knackered, 'cos WD40 or taking apart and cleaning makes only a short term difference. I haven't yet traced a supply of springs, so have to purchase the whole unit.

Hopefully not so boring accountant