Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LEDs- related problem.

Pierre Gillet

I just completed the ledification of the rear and front lights of my Seven. I did not use the flasher unit displayed here but used a special LED flasher unit sold by Ultraleds.

My problem is that when I turn on e.g.the right indicators, the left ones also blink, weakly though.

I checked carefully all the earthing with no joy.

Could it be that the indicators right and left sides are in some way connected through the hazard flashing rocker, and that the problem happens only because of the fact that the Ohm value of LEDs are close to zero ?

A way to tackle the problem is to add two resistors in parallel with the front indicators (4 Ohm/4 W) but this really not a sexy solution.

Chris W, in the past you solved another problem I had related with the fog light that I wanted to use also as a brake light. You recommended adding a diode somewhere and it worked ...

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 17 Oct 2006 18:36:26

Not sure if it's true in all cases but I seem to recal that the dashboard indicator light is wired accross the indicator switch and uses the off indicators for an earth path.

Maybe as the LEDs use far less current, the little current that is flowing through the dash light is enough to slightly light these LEDs.

Try disconnecting the dash light and see what happens.

Just a thought......

Hi Pierre,

Glad it worked.

You will also need two diodes (1N4004 or similar) though.

Earth one side of the dash light as you say, then join the other side to the cathodes of the diodes. Then connect one of the old lamp wires to one of the diode anodes, and the other lamp wire to the other diode anode.

When the volts appear on the dash light, the diode will stop the voltage going down the other lead and lighting the LEDs on the other side of the car.

Regards

Ivan

Thank you very much Eccles *thumbup*

Your plan sounds very good to me *smile*. However the dash light has only 2 wires and it seems that you are referring to three wires: earth and 2 wires.

I will have to find these diodes. Anyone knows where I can buy them with a reasonable minimum order amount ?

Cheers,

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 9 Oct 2006 08:53:18

Hi Pierre,

The earth wire will be a new one and the two existing wires are the two that go to the diodes.

We have stacks of the diodes here, if you like, mail me your address and I will send some over to you along with a diagram.

May take a couple of days as I am working away from the office until Thursday.

Regards

Ivan

I am assuming this idea will work, it works in my head anyway!!

Yes Ivan, it does work *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *idea* *idea* *idea*

Congratulations and thank you very much.

This morning the postman brought a letter from England (very nice stamp). Enclosed was a wiring diagram of the mods to be made to the old circuit (also enclosed) of the indicators dash light. And, even better, a module including two diodes wired to the 3 connectors all professionnaly conditioned in heat shrinkable duct.

I just had to connect the module to the two former wires of the dash light and to the dash light, and connect the dash light to the instrument earth point.

I added a small buzzer in parallel to the dash light since the LED flasher unit is silent !

Now I can use the 4 LEDs indicators normally: when I flash the indicators of one side the other side does not flash anymore, and there is a small buzz.

Also enclosed were several 'spare parts' : diodes, connectors etc.

Ivan, I am very grateful, you are a great man *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Cheers,

Pierre

Edited by - Pierre Gillet on 17 Oct 2006 18:01:30

It would work certainly, you would just need to work out he correct value resistor to drop the 12V down to that of the LED.

I had wondered (a couple of years ago) about changing all three dash lights to LEDs, but use two tri-coloured LEDs (in the bottom two) so it would be possible to connect an oil pressure switch to the red LED side and leave the indicators on the green side. This would also leave a spare green LED (in the ignition warning light position) that could be used as another warning light of your choice.

Regards

Ivan