Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Suspension upgrade on 89 Live Axle

NevDyson

Hi,

I have just changed out the front springs and dampers and the rears on my 89 Live axle, the new units are Spax Gas adjustables with sdjustable platforms, and the differance in driving it is really noticeable,( the old springs were the original multi coils affairs) however I really want to upgrade the triumph single wishbone set up to the double as fitted to the later classic liveaxles. Can anyone tell me how easy this is , the parts I need ????

And also will it make a significant differance ? I understand it will allow me to adjust the camber, I find my tyres wear significantly more on the insides ........

I was also thinking of giving it to Freestyle to see if they could do anything with it, I would really like i wider track but not sure if this is possible or practicle on a live axle.

Any information would be appreciated.

Get In , Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On. :-)

Edited by - NevDyson on 17 Sep 2006 20:17:05

I've done this mod to the front of my 89 Live Axle and it's quite straightforward - you will need:

*arrowright* A pair of DeDion upper wishbones (you can often find them 2nd-hand here)

*arrowright* A pair of pivot brackets (these provide the front pickup for the upper wishbones and you will need to make a hole in your sideskin to allow them to poke through) - can buy these from Redline

*arrowright* A standard-track De Dion front ARB (again, easy to find 2nd-hand here)

*arrowright* A new pair of ball-joints (part no. QR1118S off the top-of-my-head but please check archives) which have the correct taper for the trunnion-type uprights which you should have fitted - about 7 quid each.

Think that's about it. Definitely look at Phil's website (you'll need to edit the above link as it has some crap at the beginning). Difficult for me to comment on the difference it made as it was part of a major rebuild, but it makes sense over the Classic front suspension and it is nice to be able to adjust camber and have some control over ARB stiffness (you can even fit the Freestyle adjustable ARB like Phil *smile*

Yamaham @ Keevil

I fitted the full widetrack kit to my 1989 chassis.

I cut the lugs off the chassis where the front lower pivot is. Then made distance pieces to "pack" out the gap 'tween wishbone and chassis.

As far as I remember, that was it, the rest was just a matter of fitting and flat flooring.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven to The French Blatting Company Limited