Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo take off – 5 speed box

Richard K

The speedo on my car stopped working and I identified the fault as the ‘take off’ from the gearbox which had shaken it’s self loose and the ‘circlip’ no longer held it in place.

The car is 1989 X / Flow with a 5 speed box ‘Type 9’.

I attempted to re-fit the connection using ‘point nose’ pliers as I do not have a pair of internal circlip pliers.

The clip went almost into position but needed a little bit of ‘persuasion’ just to slip home into the recess groove. Pulling back the carpet over the transmission tunnel I found a convenient hole and proceeded to use the end of a screwdriver and ‘light’ hammer to drift it home.

BUT The flange of the ‘take off’ which appears to have been ‘braised’ in place popped apart!!!

I thought of having the ‘washer’ braised back in place but the engineering shop I contacted said the heat from the process would probably bu@@er the workings.

The unit is stamped VDO and I have tried my local ‘well stocked’ independent parts shop and the local FORD dealers but neither can tell me where I can obtain a replacement.

Before I contact Caterham can anyone point me in the direction of someone who might stock this item, or is this likely to be an item that only Caterham will be able to supply.

On the up side my limmited milleage insurance is looking healthy 😬

Richard