Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wind up your nose

Nick

OK, seeing as it's all a bit quiet out there... whether or not I use the wind deflectors on my windscreened 7, I get a really strong blast of wind up my right nostril at anything over 40mph - it hurts! mad.gif

Short of wearing a full face crash helmet, has anyone any (constructive!) ideas?

Nick, wanting to literally and figuratively feel cool.gif

Edited by - Nick on 19 Jun 2000 20:13:36

They look good but are basically useless. I actually find it more of a vacum around my nose and feel like I have to gasp for air. The small cycle screens are apparently better - less is more. What would look really good is the perspex venturi style screen as first found on Lotus 25's. They can be quite low but create a curtain of air which goes over your head. Maybe a small venturi style side screen is the answer.

Andrew, sounds like you have spent too long in the sun recently!

I have tried wind deflectors in the past, and don't find a problem with breathing, just visability. The wind gets behind my glasses at about 40mph and basically look out, I can't see!

Before someone suggest's contact lenses and a pair of Oakley sunglasses, contacts move on my odd shaped eyeballs!

Edited by - Powder Puff on 20 Jun 2000 12:06:49

I seem to remember that Terry Kitson (Surrey area) has a small perspex screen approx 3" high attached to the nose cone, on a line between the headlights. He says that this begins to lift the air before it gets to the windscreen and vastly reduces the problem we've been discussing. He also developed his own very nice doors - bottom half regular Caterham style, top half frameless perspex.

Powder Puff may not be able to see, but no-one could miss his car (if it's actually going, of course!!)

Sorry to be a wimp, but I think the answer is easy. I agree that the wind deflectors are useless. The only thing that works is keeping the sidescreens on

Keith, I suspect you're right, although I do wonder, as Andrew said, if there's less wind round the schnoz sans screen, or maybe just the cycle wink.gifscreens. The perspex on the nose cone sounds interesting, though the mental image I have is a bit, er, naff!

Ho hum.

You don't need a full face helmet with aero screens - except when it rains, hails, snows (yes I have driven with aeros in snow and "extremely interesting" it was too). A decent pair of glasses and be prepared for hard hitting insects should see you OK. I've done about the last 10K with the aeros, over 50% without the full face (including a Le Mans trip), and wouldn't want to go back to the full screen.

Anna,

You can't keep your obsession for leather under control can you? As a doc, can I ask you this. What is a leather nosebag??? I know of no leather finger re-enforcing devices but could think of some uses for one!

As for the accusation that it's my oriental genes that are to blame for any supposed thoughts of females and leather, I'd rather suspect that it's the Y-chromosome that is to blame! smile.gif

Alex

Anna

I think maybe yours is the best solution - bung an ear-plug up my nostril!

I'm not so sure about all that other stuff though; I'd sooner put a condom over my head and inflate it... blush.gif

Nick - How d'you get the earplug from up your nose - burst the condom?

Alex - I know, I know - I was being polite but there must be something lying around in your operating theatre that you could adapt for this poor long suffering patient. There you are - another challenge for the National Health Service!

As usual the subject drifts/drives into fetish city---great!

Seriously though, have those of you with the 'proper' 'screen fitted (no offence Dave H, but when did Shazza last come out to play?!) noticed the amount of insects that 'self detonate'on it? The viz becomes nil! Never noticed such a problem with the std. tin tops. All to do do with the aerodynamics etc I guess.

Sorry to hear about your nasal distress, its always annoying when it gets a bit parky up the proboscis. Might one suggest the very stylish solution of having the facial nose cone pierced with a long stud. I am sure there could be a good engineering solution with different lengths of studs or even adjustable ones allowing the opening and closing of the offending nasal passage to restrict updrafts and allowing the continuation of breathing when necessary!

There's always one of those plastic nose covers people hang on their sunglasses to stop them getting sunburned, that might work.

The idea of a few piercings in the appropriate nostril would certainly improve the air flow, Dr. Alex should be able to help you in this direction and as Competition Secretary he'll know just where to place them to the best effect!

Edited by - Anna Rexia on 26 Jun 2000 15:03:19