Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fireblade undercut dogs

Paul Thompson

Nova won't undercut the dogs on a std gearset, I asked them.

Extensive googling revealed some shops in the states that will however by the time you have paid postage and taxes you'd be better off with the Quaife set anyway (probably a better solution anyway)

As I understand it, perceived wisdom is that grinding the std dogs buggers the surface hardening.

That might be bollocks for all I know

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.

Paul

Having seen the dogs on a standard Honda gearset I would not undercut them. The amount of work and accuracy required are probably not beyond somebody really good. If you do find somebody capable of doing this properly you might have to pay quite a lot of money.

Then we have the question of the hardening, as Steve mentions. You would have to do a Rockwell hardness test, grind one dog and re-test to decide if it was viable. I have tried reconditioning a gear with damaged undercut dogs by regrinding. Although the work was done well, I never trusted the gear enough to actually put it in a gearbox.

I would just put the money you would spend undercutting the dogs towards a Nova or Quaife gearset.

Out of curiosity are you going to undercut dogs because you are jumping out of gear?

AMMO