Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Green sludge in the header tank....

Mark Piper

You haven't sucked up the remnants of the plastic I left at London to Brighton have youquestion.gifteeth.gif

Pea greenid=limegreen> sludge ehquestion.gif I occasionally get green residue on my shower tray at home. It's from the copper pipes (apparently), but it's just a discolouration, rather than sludge. Do you have a copper rad, or an ally onequestion.gif

Could it be radweld mixed with bright green coolantquestion.gif

Edited by - Blatman on 18 Feb 2002 10:39:07

I knew you couldn't resist a response....thumbsup.gif

I agree it could be radweld - what miffs me is that Hyperion fitted a "perfect" secondhand high capacity rad (and it's no alloy, so by definition has to be copper, I guess) to my car last year....so why would they have felt it necessary to introduce radweld?....it reassures me that you haven't mentioned head gasket failure....nor has anyone else...yet

Bite Bite Bite Bite etcteeth.gifteeth.gif

Yeah, I had a similar experience with my XR4x4 tow car. Supposedly good second hand rad, but dark green sludge in the header tank around the filler necksad.gif Head gasket failure would see a mayonnaise type sludge in catch tanks, and around the oil filler cap too, as well as your coolant turning a horrible brown colour.

Should've asked before, what enginequestion.gif

K series - what else?....wink.gif

I'd better check the coolant isn't a horrible brown colour (but I already know it's not) but I do wonder if it were head gasket failure whether synthetic oils do give the coolant water a different colour to the good old mineral oils of old...