Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil temp has stopped working?- Sorted

strongy

I have a switchable guage on my xflow and can toggle between coolant/oil temp.

The oil temp no longer gives a reading, this has just happened after a recent service but that could just be coincidence.

What is most likely, faulty sender on the dry sump tank *confused*

Dry-sumped White Supersprint *smile*

Edited by - strongy on 23 Jun 2006 11:48:16

Edited by - strongy on 23 Jun 2006 18:46:03

Don't know where your sender is sited obviously but could just be something simple like the connector becoming detached during the service and not pushed back on again. When the senders themselves fail, they normally start playing silly bu99ers and giving spurious readings rather than just failing completely.

If you know where the sender is, look to see if it has a wire still attached.

Brent

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

1. The fault can't be in the gauge or else you would have no water temp reading

2. Swap over the leads at the back of the toggle switch (ie: swap the outer 2 terminals and leave the middle one as is). If the fault now moves to the water reading and the oil now reads OK, the fault is at the toggle switch.

3. If the fault stays with the oil reading, then either the oil sender is faulty or the wiring to the oil sender is faulty.

4. Pull the wire from the top of the oil temp sender and run it (via a temporary extension wire) to the water temp sender (from which you have removed the wire at the top also). If you get a reading, then the oil temp wire is OK and the sender must be at fault. If still no reading there is a fault in the oil temp sender wire.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Update -

The fault was with the coolant temp reading, not the oil - my mistake 😳

By running a wire to the oils temp sender wire to the water temp sender I get a correct reading. Fault must be the coolant temp seder wire then *confused* *thumbup*

Job for tomorrow, off to work now ☹️ Thanks again Chris *thumbup*

Edited by - strongy on 22 Jun 2006 13:05:59

Results so far -

Old switch is working, removed it and tested as a dip/main switch - OK.

When I run a wire from oil sender to water sender I can get a water temp reading, so sender ok.

When I run a new wire between the switch and the water temp sender - no reading.

Now I have re-connected everything - no readings at all not even oil temp now??? The only way I can now get anything at all is by running a wire from oil sender to water sender to get a water temp reading??

Very confused now??

Edited by - strongy on 23 Jun 2006 11:50:13

Strongy

Remove the two leads from the tops of their repective senders. Now, with the ignition ON, touch each lead in turn to ground (chassis). With the switch in one position the gauge should show full scale (ie: full over to the right) and with the switch in the other position the other lead when grounded should give a full deflection.

If this doesn't happen, disconnect the switch and connect a wire from the back of the gauge (to the gauge terminal that normally goes to the centre terminal on the switch) and ground this wire with the ignition ON. If you get full deflection, your gauge is working OK and the fault is in the switch somewhere or the wiring to the switch. If the gauge does not show full deflection, either the guage is faulty or, more likely, power is not reaching the gauge for some reason. You should have 12v between the gauge's green wire (power) and the gauge's black wire (earth) with the ignition ON.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris Thanks, I'm in South Wales so quite a long way away.

I'll try your suggestions.

I do now have oil temp after a fiddle, and like I say I can get a water temp reading via the oil temp wire, but if I run a new wire water temp sender > switch = nothing?

I have also had no change fuse for heater/rev counter but I think that this is unrelated.

Cheers *thumbup*

Sorted now thanks.

tested guage as you described all working fine. Re wired switch and tested guage now gives two readings again *thumbup*

I reckon that I had the switch wired incorrectly i.e the power wasn't at the middle connection but at one of the ends?

Thanks Chris - much appreciated *thumbup* *thumbup*