Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noise from diff/driveshafts

SimB

I'm trying to get to the bottom of a noise coming from the rear transmission. Its most noticable when lifting off the power at about 40-50mph. Its difficult to describe the noise - like an intermittent grinding *confused*. My diff is pretty noisy - but that's a different noise (whine). Not sure where to start looking so I'd appreciate any advice. I'm guessing checking the diff oil level and greasing the propshaft UJ's might be worthwhile?

I have a similar problem. The noise starts when everything has warmed up and is worse when doing slow turns (i.e. the diff is working hard). It seems to be coming from the left hand side, but I'm not really sure as driving without side screens has had a bad effect on my ears (must get a flying helmet!).

2.0 HPC Green/Yellow Stripe

Hope it's case of TADTS (they all do that Sir). Do you have an LSD fitted guys? Mine noisy but I've stopped worrying after 9,000 miles, a track day and 10 full tilt drag strip launches last week. Noise around corners or throttle lift off is bad. Never got any noisier though... *confused*

1.4K SS 😬 Photo's here

David,

No LSD or any other mind enhancers *smile*, but I'm beginning to think that you are right and maybe I'll stop worrying and wait till something goes bang and then I'll know what it is. Maybe as the De-Dion has more externally whirring bits, they tend to be more audible.

2.0 HPC Green/Yellow Stripe

I have the same noise from the back of my Xflow dedion 7. Which I'd describe it as a sort of loose growling noise. Its been there since I built the car, which has now done over 40.000 miles so unless you're unlucky I don't think it will be too much to worry about.

Sounds like it is a case of TADTS then! I have no LSD either (yet *cool*). Midnight's 'loose growling noise' is a far better description than I originally used - sounds like the same noise. I only notice it when driving through town or stuck in traffic - better find some improved blatting routes to work where I can't hear it 😬. Thanks for the feedback!