Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev counter double reading!!

caterhamnut

Our car is back on the road - hurrah!

I pulled over 9500rpm on the way home, and it idles nicely at about 2000rpm - in other words, it is reading double. It is a nice (almost) new Caterham model, with the 3 LED's inside, and the nice tidy plug on th eback, and I sourced it to go with our newer engine/car loom. We are EU2 though. I guess the rev counter is used to wasted spark system - is there anything we can do to make it work properly (although a switch for track day noise tests might be good 😳 *tongue* 😬)

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

The link Chris gave you mentions 'Note A for multiple coil' systems , but I can't see Note A anywhere... I'm guessing your tacho is set up for this, but it doesn't help you know how this is done.

I guess you'll need to ring Caerbont, or find someone with a similar ignition system to you to check their settings.

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 9000 miles completed!

b*llocks and b*gger! Taken small rubber grommet out to show switches to find no switches but just a bulb to light the instrument. Label saying EU3 - so I guess it isn't switchable after all *mad*

www.mycaterham.com

here

91,000 miles -1st 1.6k Supersport, '95 Motor Show car

Hi Angus

Something's awry here. For the rev counter to read double the rpm, it would have to be expecting a "normal" ignition pulse count but actually receiving twice as many pulses from your engine ie: your engine must be "wasted spark" and the tacho "normal" and not the other way round as you imply in your post (unless I'm interpreting what you're saying incorrectly).

It sounds like the tacho is the wrong one if there are no switches on it. I could build a circuit for you which divided the pulses by a factor of two, but it's probably easier and cheaper to get the tacho swapped out for the correct version. Strange that it is marked "EU3" though as EU3 is wasted spark. I can only assume the tacho is incorrectly marked?

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Chris

Angus's car is non wasted spark, ie the car has a distributor and a single coil. I completely understand your comment that given the rev counter is EU3 (Wasted Spark) it should be reading 1/2 not double *confused*

I know Angus aquired the rev counter and swapping it is probably not an option so maybe a suitable circuit as you suggest would be great although we'd need to cut into the loom somwhere to pick up the signal cable

Mark

On wasted spark, the tacho would just be taking its signal from one of the coil feeds. In other words, it would be seeing half the firing stroke sparks. The tacho will be rigged to report revs as equivalent to double the count of pulses on its input. In other words, again, the tacho is set up for two cylinders as you suggest.

On a normal EU2, this will read double revs.